My Favorite Protein Shake Recipes

(all recipes can be made a little sweeter by adding 1 packet of Truvia, a stevia-based granulated sweetener)

(Please note that by 1 scoop, I mean approx. 30 grams of protein powder which normally nets between 20 and 25 grams protein. .  Nutrition information given assumes 24 grams of protein for each scoop.)

Real food is typically best, but protein shakes are a great supplement to a sound nutrition program!

Anyone who knows my philosophy on nutrition knows that I am a HUGE fan of real food… that means in general, if it doesn’t spoil within 7-10 days, don’t eat it.  Obviously there are exceptions to that rule, but it’s a very easy and realistic way for people to determine if a food is healthful or not.  That being said, there is a time and a place for the consumption of protein shakes.  Some good reasons to drink a protein shake:

- If you have trouble meeting your protein requirements

- If you are a vegetarian/pescatarian/don’t eat much meat

- If you are in a rush/don’t have time to cook/have a very busy schedule

- If you have trouble getting all your calories from real food (eating 3500+ calories a day from real food can be challenging for some people.  Any of these recipes can be bulked up by adding more heavy whipping cream, whole eggs, extra nut butters, etc).

- To control cravings/combat a sweet tooth

- For nourishment during times you might not feel like eating (i.e. first thing in the morning, pre-workout, post-workout, etc)

This is obviously not an exhaustive list of reasons to occasionally drink protein shakes, but most of the main bases are covered.

ENJOY!

P.S.  This is my absolute favorite protein powder.  In the interest of full disclosure, it’s a company I am affiliated with, but I choose to be affiliated with them because of the high quality of their products.   Their protein powder is gluten-free, non-GMO, growth hormone free, sweetened with stevia, low-carb, and delicious!  If you are interested in their products, I would appreciate you buying through my link and helping to support MollyGalbraith.com.

Buckeye Shake (chocolate and peanut butter)

2 scoops low carb chocolate protein powder

6 oz almond milk

1.5 TBSP peanut butter

1 TBSP raw cocoa powder

1 TBSP cacao nibs (optional)

4 oz water (more for a thinner shake, less for a thicker shake)

Calories: 440

Pro: 56 grams Carbs: 12 grams Fat: 17 grams Fiber: 5 grams

Pina Colada Protein Shake

2 scoops vanilla low carb protein powder

2 oz unsweetened coconut milk

¾ cup pineapple chunks (either fresh or “no sugar added” if canned)

8 oz water (more for a thinner shake, less for a thicker shake)

1-5 drops coconut extract if desired for extra flavor

Calories: 450

Pro: 50 grams Carbs: 22 grams Fat: 16 grams Fiber: 3 grams

Apple Crisp Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb vanilla protein powder

6 oz almond milk

½ cup unsweetened applesauce

Blend to desired consistency

***For an extra treat, take some gluten free oats (2/3 cup) and mix them with 1 TBSP of melted real butter, 2 TSP honey, and cinnamon to taste.  Spread them out on a baking sheet and toast them at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes (stirring after 10 minutes).  Keep a close eye on the oats and don’t let them burn.  Take them out and let them cool completely, stirring them so they don’t clump together. You can sprinkle this on top of your shake or eat a couple of spoonfuls when you drink your shake.  This recipe makes 2 servings of the “crisp.”

Calories: 340

Pro: 49 grams Carbs: 19 grams Fat: 5 grams Fiber: 2 grams

*** add 170 calories, 4 grams protein, 23 carbs, 8 grams fat, and 3 grams of fiber if you add the “crisp”

Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb chocolate protein powder

*12 oz mint flavored green tea

1 TSBP raw cocoa powder

1 TBSP cacao nibs (optional)

Blend to desired consistency

*steep 1-2 mint flavored green teabags in 12 oz hot water for 2-3 minutes (2 teabags for stronger flavor).  If you have time to let it cool, that’s ideal.  If not, steep them in 6-8 oz of water and use extra crushed ice when making your shake.

Calories: 270

Pro: 49 grams Carbs: 7 grams Fat: 3 grams Fiber: 2 grams

Cashew Cookie Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb vanilla protein powder

6 oz almond milk

1.5 TBSP cashew butter

4 oz water (more for a thinner shake, less for a thicker shake)

1-5 drops vanilla extract

1-5 drops butter flavoring extract

Calories: 430

Pro: 53 grams Carbs: 12 grams Fat: 17 grams Fiber: 2 grams

Blueberry Muffin Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb vanilla protein powder

6 oz almond milk

2/3 cup blueberries

Juice from 1-2 lemon wedges or ½ packet of TrueLemon

2 TSP cashew butter

1-5 drops vanilla extract

4 oz water (more for a thinner shake, less for a thicker shake)

Calories: 440

Pro: 52 grams Carbs: 21 grams Fat: 11 grams Fiber: 4 grams

Pumpkin Pie Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb vanilla protein powder

6 oz almond milk

½ cup pure canned pumpkin

1-5 drops vanilla extract

4 oz water (more for a thinner shake, less for a thicker shake)

Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste

Calories: 330

Pro: 50 grams Carbs: 15 grams Fat: 5 grams Fiber: 4 grams

Sweet Potato Pie Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb vanilla protein powder

6 oz almond milk

½ cup sweet potato (already baked, no skin)

1-5 drops vanilla extract

4 oz water (more for a thinner shake, less for a thicker shake)

Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste

Calories: 420

Pro: 52 grams Carbs: 36 grams Fat: 5 grams Fiber: 8 grams

Mocha Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb chocolate protein powder

10 oz coffee (already cooled or 5 oz very strong coffee and add lots of extra ice when blending)

2 TBSP heavy whipping cream

1 TBSP raw cocoa powder

Calories: 375

Pro: 50 grams Carbs: 8 grams Fat: 14 grams Fiber: 2 grams

Very Berry Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb vanilla protein powder

8 oz almond milk

¼ cup each strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries

(OR  1 cup frozen mixed berries)

4 oz water (more for a thinner shake, less for a thicker shake)

Calories: 360

Pro: 50 grams Carbs: 21 grams Fat: 6 grams Fiber: 7 grams

Orange Creamsicle Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb vanilla protein powder

6 oz almond milk

4 oz orange juice

2 TBSP heavy whipping cream

3-5 drops vanilla extract

Calories: 450

Pro: 50 grams Carbs: 20 grams Fat: 16 grams Fiber: 1 grams

Tropical Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb vanilla protein powder

4 oz. almond milk

2 oz. unsweetened coconut milk

½ cup pineapple chunks (either fresh or “no sugar added” if canned)

½ cup frozen mango

½ banana

4 oz water (more for a thinner shake, less for a thicker shake)

3-5 drops coconut extract

Calories: 560

Pro: 51 grams Carbs: 46 grams Fat: 19 grams Fiber: 6 grams

Cinnamon Roll Protein Shake

2 scoops low carb vanilla or cinnamon protein powder (use cinnamon for extra flavor)

8 oz almond milk

2 TBSP heavy whipping cream

4 oz water (more for a thinner shake, less for a thicker shake)

1-5 drops vanilla extract

1-5 drops natural butter flavoring

*2 TSP ground cinnamon (if you use vanilla protein powder)

Pumpkin pie spice to taste

Calories: 400

Pro: 50 grams Carbs: 7 grams Fat: 17 grams Fiber: 2 grams

Keep in mind that you can amend the ingredients in any of these recipes for your personal preference (more flavor, less flavor, more sweet, less sweet, thicker, thinner, etc).  Please let me know what you think and please share your favorite recipes and I will continue to add to this list!

30 Responses to My Favorite Protein Shake Recipes

1. Alex Griffee says:

Great tips and recipes. They all sound very delicious.

2. Pam says:

Thanks for posting these great recipes! What type of almond milk do you use: unsweetened, vanilla?

3. Wendy says:

Just curious to see if there was any way to know the sugar content if made to spec? Totally would be helpful in my world!

4. erin says:

posted just in time! These are great suggestions, Molly! A recent hiatal hernia has been making eating quite unpleasant, so if i need to drink a few meals for a while then it’s nice to have options! I also have a nut allergy, so what are your thoughts on using Hemp milk?? I usually just use water, but the creaminess effect is lacking.

Eek! Sorry to hear about your hernia! Hope it gets better soon!

Hemp milk is great! I am a huge fan of hemp and hemp products so absolutely go for it! =)

• Erin says:

Mint-choco chip: AMAZING and so innovative. Tea? in a protein shake? mind blown ;-)
      Saddest part was that the majority of my cocoa nib shavings were stuck at the bottom of the blender. Drats!

5. Pingback: Eat Healthy, Live Healthy | Women's Powerlifting

6. Pingback: 9 Things I Have Changed My Mind About – Part 2 | Molly Galbraith

7. Pingback: Derby City CrossFit | Louisville | Workout of the Day – Friday 3/30/12

8. Pingback: Satisfying Great Tasting Diet Shake Recipes that Help You Lose Weight

9. Pingback: “Easy Healthy Recipes: Blueberry Kale Protein Smoothie…” (Orange County Boot Camp) | Easy Healthy Recipes

10. Pingback: Spinach in a smoothie? But you said you go for tasty and healthy???? | Elsbeth Vaino's Blog

11. Pingback: The Ideal Way to Use Whey Protein Powder Whilst Training | Healthy Man

12. Alley James says:

well truth is i just tried a lot of protein shakes recipe but i don’t know when i try yours they are better then mine. lol. thing is when we have some thing in our mind then recipe would be same but taste will be different. thanks and love you dear. keep sharing such recipes they are yumm.

13. Pingback: Friday Foodbyte – Top Ten Foods to Fight Belly Fat | Happier, Healthier, More Fit Me

14. Pingback: Follow These Fitness Tips And Feel Great Doing It | The Back Pain Shoulder And Neck Pain Blog

15. Pingback: Q&A: How do you get lean? Meaning good ammount of muscle and very little fat? | muscular development, how to build muscle, muscle building

16. Pingback: Have You Been Unknowingly Undermining Your Diet? | Customized Fat Loss Plan | Customized Fat Loss Program Review

17. Pingback: What to Keep in Mind When Choosing Protein Powder | My Urgent Information

18. Pingback: Beware Of Eating Too Much Protein | Fat Boy Recipes

19. Pingback: My Favorite Protein Shake Recipes | Molly Galbraith « WE FIT TOGETHER

20. Jack Dowd says:

Hi Molly,

I have enjoyed reading your protein shake recipes. I think you and your readers may be interested in learning more about how to choose the best protein powder for your body.

I am a co-owner of Raw Organic Whey, a new company that recently made our USDA certified organic whey protein publicly available online (www.raworganicwhey.com).

Our desire to eat the purest, organic and unprocessed foods drove us to find the best whey protein that exists. I think that you and your readers may find our website and whey protein interesting as our site has a lot of information on the benefits of going organic with whey and the importance of organic whey. Our whey protein comes from small dairy farms in the U.S. and supports sustainable, family farms in the Midwest.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding Raw Organic Whey.

Thanks!

Jack Dowd
    support@raworganicwhey.com
    Raw Organic Whey™

21. I use many nutritious ingredients in my protein shake like raw pasteurized eggs, uncooked rolled oats, puffed cereals, peanut butter, banana, hemp seed powder, blueberries and powdered green foods to make it more natural and healthy.Since protein performs countless invaluable functions in the body, from metabolism to tissue growth and repair.

22. Alex says:

These are all great recipes but do you have any with the same nutritional values but without using protein supplements(powders)

23. Lee Graves says:

There are some winning recipes here and some combos that I didn’t think of. Definitely going to try these!

24. Hi Molly,
    You have a great collection of recipes, thanks for sharing. I love the addition of the baked oats in the apple crisp protein shake. I’m going to have to give that a try.

25. John says:

Hi Molly (and if anyone else has any suggestions), I work shift work and and for the last couple of months I have been having a protein shake on my way to work for day shift and 1 in the morning when coming of a night shift as I don’t finish until 0930 in the morning and I have found I’ve been losing a little weight. I am not obese by any stretch of the imagination but know I could lose a couple more kilograms. I am also aware of my need for nutrition. I am looking for recipes that don’t require a blender and easy to do as my job is motor vehicle based. I would appreciate your help on this.

Regards John