In the first installment of my blog post, found here, I discussed why I was doing an Elimination Diet, what exactly that diet entailed, and what my protocol was to slowly start adding foods back in.  Read below to find out how the last month has been going!

Where am I now in the Elimination Diet Process?

I am now about 40 days into the process, which means that I have started adding foods back in and monitoring my reactions.  After 25 days, I was allowed to quite taking the Inflamma-Core supplement and start trying different foods.  I added one food at a time so that I could properly attribute any reactions I may have had to that particular food.

The first food I added back in was raw, local, whole milk from grass-fed cows.  I love milk, but conventional milk doesn’t agree with me very well as it makes me extremely bloated.  I can literally go from 6-pack to 6 months pregnant by kicking back 16 oz. of conventional milk.

Luckily, I didn’t notice any issues from adding the raw milk back into my diet (P.S. Do your own research to find out if raw milk is right for you… don’t just take my word for it!).  The next food I added back in was grass-fed beef.  Again, I had no issues.

The next food after that that I added back in were eggs.  I would love to tell you that they were omega-3 pasture eggs, but alas, they were not.  That is typically what I eat, but not in this instance.  You see, I have brunch every Sunday morning with my family, and although I typically engage in intermittent fasting and don’t eat until 2 or 3 pm, on this particular day I decided to have my favorite Denver Omelet.  About halfway through my absolutely delicious Denver Omelet it hit me… oh crap!  The Denver Omelet has cheese, onions, peppers, and… HAM.  Oops.  I wasn’t supposed to eat pork products for another 4-5 weeks!

The problem is that in terms of pork products, I really only eat bacon and the occasional pork chop.  I hardly ever consume ham so when I was sorting through foods to eat and foods to avoid in my mind, bacon was the only pork product I focused on avoiding… I had completely forgotten about ham.  So of course I did exactly what I was supposed to do and quit eating the Omelet right then and there.  Yep… that’s what happened.  Sure is.  No more Denver Omelet for me.

doo dee doo… la la la…mmm hmmm…no more Omelet for this girl.  I followed the rules.  Yep.  Sure did.

OK… can you tell I am lying yet?  I actually thought, “Screw it!” and devoured the rest of my omelet in about 3 bites.  Can you blame me?  I already had the pork in my system and it was so delicious… I just couldn’t help myself!

Food Reactions

Some other foods I have added back in with no reaction include:

-          Strawberries

-          Soy (I don’t eat it much, but it is in the occasional processed food I eat, like organic dark chocolate covered raisins)

-          Chicken

-          Broccoli

-          Shellfish

-          Oats

-          Tea

-          Basil

So far, so good in terms of adding foods back in and I am thrilled about that!  Since I am gluten free 100% of the time no matter what, the more variety of other foods I have to choose from, the better!

What foods do you still have to avoid?

There are a couple of foods I still have to avoid and it’s while it’s annoying, it’s not so bad!  For another 1-2 weeks I still have to avoid oranges, peanuts, almonds, pork (oops!), and I always avoid gluten.  In fact, I may actually go a bit longer than 2 weeks without pork because of my slip-up, but we’ll see.

So what’s next?

I am making an appointment with my Doctor for next week to see what tests she wants to run on me.  I am not sure if she will want to check certain levels to see if I am absorbing nutrients more effectively, or if she wants to run another allergy test to see if my allergies improved…I am just not sure.  But that’s what I pay her the big bucks for!  Either way, I will be interested to see what she has to say!

How am I feeling?

Overall I feel good.  I think the detoxing of sugar, dairy, eggs, artificial sweeteners, and soy among other things was good for me.  Again, I eat whole, unprocessed, organic food 90% of the time, but clearly even some whole, unprocessed, organic foods can be a major stress to your system if you have a sensitivity to that food.  You know the funniest part?  As I went along with the diet, it got easier and easier.  The longer I went without a treat or a cheat meal, the easier it got to avoid those foods and no care.  A wonderful side of effect of this whole process has been increasing my willpower.  I discussed it another blog post of mine, but willpower is like a muscle…the more you exercise it, the stronger is gets.  I know some people believe that willpower is not a reasonable/realistic tool for most people when it comes to changing their nutrition habits and that’s fine, but I enjoy challenging and really exercising my willpower at times and I definitely notice it getting stronger the more I use it.

Well guys, that’s it for now.  Once I visit my Doctor and figure out what the next steps are, I will let you know.  In the meantime I will stick with my plan as written in the first installment.  Thanks for reading!

What did you think of this post? Love it? Hate it?  Have any of you started an Elimination Diet since my last article?  How is it going?

8 Responses to Gut Healing Elimination Diet: Part 2

1. Juliet says:

I loved this post, Molly! I enjoyed the first one as well. I’m fascinated by how diet can regulate all aspects of our health – even in areas we don’t think about. A friend of mine recently took out a bunch of inflammatory foods (similar to your list) and it completely resolved skin issues on his FINGERS. I did a 30 day elimination and I found much of the same results as you – I felt great afterwards. Then easter came and I totally scarfed some candy all day. Fortunately the remnants of that extravaganza are at my parents house and not mine ;)

Juliet,

Yes I am constantly amazed as well! My favorite story is of a young man who started training with us because he wanted to get stronger to play football in high school. We noticed that he was practically falling asleep during some of the workouts and when we started asking his Mom about it, she told us that he suffered from several issues. The first issue was that he was covered in rashes and lesions from his neck to his knees (we could never see it because of his t-shirt and shorts). They would itch so badly that he would be up all night scratching and rarely got a good night’s sleep. He also suffered from ADD and was on medication for that. His Mother had taken him to several pediatricians, psychiatrists and dermatologists with no success. They had him on several medications and they were looking to put him on steroids and/or immune suppressing drugs. We talked to his Mother about diet and she told us that no one had ever mentioned diet to her before. She started him (and the rest of the family) on a strict Paleo Diet and within 4 days the rashes started to go away and within 2 weeks they were gone. She also told us that he raised his grades from C’s and D’s to A’s and B’s over the course of a month or two. He was also sleeping through the night and was losing body fat. She said he was so excited because he was going to be able to go to the pool with his shirt off for the first time since he was 8 years old.

The fact that people ignore the healing power of food is just crazy to me! =)
      Thank you so much for commenting and sharing your story! And yes, the Easter candy will get you! That’s a good idea to have it somewhere other than your house!

• Juliet says:

Holy incredible!!! That’s quite a story!!!!!!!

2. Brian says:

Great article, any improvements in your lifts? Feel like I have been seeing a lot of PR vids lately

Brian, I was actually supposed to take it easy in the gym during the first phase of my Elimination Diet as my body was trying to heal itself. So I de-loaded during the first two weeks, and then did some light lifting during the 3rd week. Then I came in and started smashing PR’s. I don’t *think* it had anything to do with the diet specifically… I think the diet just happened to fall at a time when everything else was “coming together” in terms of my lifts (and I am sure the two weeks of de-loading helping my CNS recover a bit as well). =) Thanks for commenting!

3. Kate says:

How do you judge whether or not reintroducing a food causes a reaction or not? Is it just subjective – how you feel, or is there an objective measure? Are you testing for markers of molecular-level inflammation cascades after each reintroduction? I was just wondering how you knew there was no reaction.

4. Debbie says:

Molly, thank you so much for your posts. What I love about them is the more balanced approach encouraging us to finding what works for each one of us, personally. It doesn’t seem as off putting as someone telling me that I cannot eat this or that. I don’t generally have problems with foods, nothing horrible anyways, and my blood work has always been good (even though high cholesterol, etc. runs in my family and I don’t eat as well as I should and eat way too many carbs). But I’m 47 and want to safeguard my health and also lose some weight that has crept on, so these posts are really encouraging to me. Thank you.

5. Lian says:

Thank you for this post! I’m going through a 90 day elimination diet per my FDN and the limitations are killing me! Glad to see I’m not alone and it can be done. We all need reminders sometimes that while it may suck for awhile, it will help in the long run. Also glad to read not alone in GI revive making me feel cruddy. When did your body finally adapt to it?