meme

Yesterday was Day 9 of the Love Your Body Challenge, and the reason to love your body was,

“Because it’s awesome.”

What was so cool about this was getting read all of your own personal definitions of what it means to be awesome.  Check them out below:

“Training to be awesome means learning to love my body exactly the way it is, flaws and all. I will continue to train by swimming, running, and lifting weights. And I will not punish my body when it doesn’t look the way I want it to after all that activity. I know that I’m treating it right, and all that matters is that.”

“Training to be awesome means constantly trying to improve how much I can lift, and never giving up in the face of an obstacle.”

“Training to be awesome means to get in a healthy mind set, to accept myself the way I am now.”

“Training to be awesome means working my body in ways that make me feel GOOD.”

“Training to be awesome means maintaining a healthy mind body soul combo… It means accepting this body yet not becoming stagnate in working toward continued health and continued strength, both mentally and physically!”

“Loves all of you. Love your curves and all your edges. All your perfect imperfections. From John Legend – All of Me Lyrics
This artist’s lyrics are so very powerful! Never before did I ever imagine my body being awesome, but it truly is, all my edges and perfect imperfections! Wow! Thanks for day 9.”

So. Many. Awesome. Definitions.

With that said, on to Day 10.  I think you’ll love it.

10. Because you are (or should be) unapologetically strong.

Yes, I’ll admit. I stole this one from my girl Jen Sinkler… but it’s just so good that I couldn’t help myself.

On Day 3, we talked about loving your body because it’s strong.  Which is awesome.  But I want you to take it a step further and love it because it’s unapologetically strong.

The Queen Bee of the unapologetically strong movement!

The Queen Bee of the unapologetically strong movement!

You see, as women, we are constantly expected to downplay our strengths.  If a friend compliments out hair, we are supposed to say, “Oh my gosh! Really?  It’s a mess today.  I totally need to get it done.”  Or if they gawk at how strong we are, we are supposed to reply, “Yeah, but have you seen how fat my legs are?  Ugh!  I’d totally trade my squat numbers for skinny legs.”

Umm…no.  Not anymore.

No longer will we apologize for being strong.  No longer will we downplay our strengths.  No longer will we deflect compliments because they make us uncomfortable.

Today is the day that we love our bodies for being unapologetically strong.

Mantra:  “My body is strong, and so I am, and I will no longer apologize for either of those truths.”

Action step:  Practice accepting compliments gracefully.  Do your best to recall the last 3-5 compliments you’ve received and write them down.  Next to them, write down how you will respond in the future when you receive a similar compliment.
(i.e. Compliment -”Your deadlift is ridiculous!” Response – “Thank you!  I’ve been working very hard on it and it’s exciting to be lifting so much weight!  I love it!”)

Oh, and your second action step is to check out this awesome video from my girl Jen (the inspiration for this post!)  She is giving away a FREE 4-part e-course on how to make your conditioning workouts safe, effective, and fun.  Check out Part 1 and Part 2.

Checklist:

1. Make sure you’ve signed up for my newsletter so you can get links to the new challenge every morning!
2. Make sure you’ve filled out the 10 questions at the bottom of this page (DO THIS BEFORE DAY 1) so you have your “starting point.”
3. Say your mantra 10 times immediately, during your action step, and before bed.
4. Complete your action step.
5. Check in with your accountability partner if you have one.
6. Check back tomorrow for more.

OH!  3 more things –

1. PLEASE post about what you’re doing on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtags #LoveYourBodyChallenge or #LYBC.  This will allow you to connect with others doing the challenge, offer support and encouragement, and get ideas for your mantras and action steps.

2. PLEASE comment below and let us know what your mantra and your action steps are each day.  Again, this helps build support and community as well as offers ideas to those who might need them.

3. If you’re so inclined, feel free to send me pictures of your amazingly beautiful selves and I’ll post them in my Facebook album.  It’s essentially an album of pictures similar to what my fitness professional friends and I did on Day 1.  It’s a picture that you might normally not want to post, but you post it anyway along with a short blurb about your journey.  You can see the album here, and you can send pictures and your blurb to: 28DayLoveYourBodyChallenge@gmail.com It’s such a supportive community of women (and men) over there.  It’s awesome!

That’s all for now.

See you tomorrow!

1. Kristie says:

I ‘ll admit that I am a bit surprised how this challenge has already changed me, since Day 1. I went to a baby shower this weekend and was already faced with a compliment that normally causes my awkward to go into overdrive. Normally when someone notices my weight loss, I blush and blurt out something about how these skinny jeans must be doing their job, or how I still have a long way to go. Not this time! Someone said to me “Girl, you’ve lost weight! You look good!” I smiled proudly and said “Thank you! I FEEL great. I’ve added rowing to my routine and I’m loving it.” This led to a genuine conversation about what we’ve been trying that has us feeling good and strong. Another thing I noticed was my inner response to the improvements she has made since I last saw her…I was honestly happy for her, not secretly jealous. I know that it is because I am finding new strength and pride and self-love each day. The more I’m loving myself, the more I’m loving others and my world around me. Something has clicked, and I’m not going to apologize for feeling fantastic about it.

2. Marcia G. says:

Okay, this one really hit home for me… I wake up each day and work so hard to be the best mom, wife, employee, fitness instructor, dog owner, runner, neighbor, friend, etc. that I can be and as soon as someone compliments me on any one of those I am the first to deflect it. Even with my husband! I work tirelessly to build myself up, then intentionally knock myself down… why?

3. I think that its just engrained in us to deflect compliments, and that’s such a shame. Because when you think about it, when you GIVE someone a compliment and they deflect it, it makes your heart sink a little and you don’t feel like giving out compliments anymore. I’ve realized that I deflect every compliment and I have to stop and make myself close my mouth, say thank you, smile and let that be it. Even for small things (like today, I walk into work and I was complimented on the birthday cake I’d made and left for my boss’s mom. They said “that was the best cake we ever had! Thank you!” and my first thought was to tell them how it wasn’t that spectacular, how the mixer broke while I was making the buttercream, how it wasn’t as smooth as I’d hoped… instead I made myself say “oh I’m so glad you loved it” and then I walked off. It felt so weird not adding anything extra to my response, but it felt so much better to truly believe myself that the cake I made was wonderful to them.).
    If I could just start remembering not to deflect the “you look beautiful” or the “love that shirt!” comments by telling people how I’m such a mess or how the shirt is actually old or I got it on sale, then I’d actually feel happier about myself!

4. Stephanie says:

“My body is strong, and so am I, and I will no longer apologize for either of those truths.” So beyond perfect for me today as I questioned myself last night due to a comment from another woman at my gym. I work very hard, my workouts are intense, I sweat A LOT and I lift some heavy weights! To hear from another woman that I shouldn’t sweat like I do, to get the looks from other women as I lift those heavy weights along with the guys in the weight area, sometimes it is difficult. But I am PROUD of what I am accomplishing and I will continue to grow and get stronger. No more apologies for this journey I am on, not everyone will understand and that almost makes me want to work harder and show them what I can do :)

5. die Frau says:

I realize that when I say these mantras to myself, for many I unconsciously put my hand over my heart because they fill me with love and comfort for myself. Today, I threw my arms out to the side in victory and flexed my biceps, formerly scrawny things I’ve been working on for the past six weeks. And I’m getting stronger. And I’m damned proud of it.

I deflect often, and it feels as though I’m bragging when I do accept a compliment — what’s equally bad, others consider it bragging if we (women, primarily) DON’T brush off the praise. But for me to say, “Thank you, I’ve worked hard on that/I enjoyed cooking it/I appreciate that,” that’s something I can and should do for myself. And so should others. There’s nothing wrong with acknowledging your strengths.

6. Melissa says:

The first thing that pops in my head when I read this mantra is the moment a member of the weight training class I teach said something about the weight I use for lunges!

Let’s start by saying God gave me a gift…a big ‘ol round booty! I used to HATE it, back in the days I was in high school and my 20’s, when I cared more to be “thin” than fit. (UGH, glad I matured!) I was embarrassed to be skinny everywhere but my bubble butt.
    I wish I could go back and shake that skinny girl and yell “CAN’T YOU SEE? Women PAY for implants to have a butt like that! Do some lunges, you young idiot! Perk that baby up, and walk around with a picture frame around it!”

Since then, I have struggled with my weight. Would I want to lose fat, yes. Am I overweight? Not really by much at all…no matter WHAT my mirror will tell you. It can be a filthy liar!
    I should be someone my class members look to for inspiration. So, what I do, is show them I REFUSE to EVER give up! I have heavier weights than them; I do push myself beyond my limit. I WANT them to see me drip with sweat, and hear me grunt in struggle! Just as important, see that being strong isn’t about what size I am, it’s my determination. If their weight creeps close to mine, it’s my turn to push harder.

So.. I tell the gals to rack on some heavy weight, we have lunges to do. I tossed weight on my bar, hoisted that baby up…and…the lady in front of the class. (You know, the one with the least amount on her bar; because heavy weights will make her “bulky”. Yeah, her… the skinny, soft one that always has an opinion on things.) She says, “Why are you doing that much weight? Isn’t your butt big enough for you?”

…….silence……

I think you could hear a pin drop at that moment. I looked at her and said, “You know. I know what I’ve got back there! I love my butt, I want to keep that thang as perky and strong as it can be. The worst thing I could do is lift light weights and let it deflate.” Thank GOD, that got some laughs.

I refused to let that comment bother me! I refused to let anyone hear anything besides a confident comment in return! Besides, doesn’t the saying go: Skinny girls might look good in clothes, but fit girls look better naked!

7. Audrey says:

and so I have been called an animal, by other women at the gym…and my son says I HULK out…well, I am learning that these are positives..not negatives…it is me..I am the one who gets the looks at the gym, not bc I am pretty but bc most people are saying “holy crap” in their minds..

8. this is one of my favourite days yet, Molly!

I am so bad at accepting compliments, but I know through this challenge I will get the help I need.

It isn’t wrong to accept compliments! I just need to get that in my head :) I have worked SO hard to get to where I am today and I need to learn that it is ok to OWN IT :D

I also forgot to comment yesterday about training to be awesome. Nia is a huge inspiration to me and I have been following her “training to be awesome” motto for a while now and ever since I started doing that as opposed to training for aesthetics I’ve been making much greater success in the gym! I LOVE THE PHILOSOPHY <3

9. Diane says:

I am sharing today’s work even harder than I normally share the challenge. This day hit hard. I was writing out some compliments that I’ve heard lately, and all I can think is, “oh my gosh, I am awesome!” And it’s so weird to say that. But it feels sooo good to acknowledge it. I hear at lot that I’m an inspiration, that I am so dedicated and work hard or I am performing (running, cardio classes, strength training) well. A lady yesterday morning at the gym told me I was looking skinny. I feel so often like I’ve made so little progress in the past year, because I’m not quite 30 pounds away from my starting weight, and I still have so so far to go and that makes me feel like a fraud sometimes. While I was writing these things out I just had to stop and think about all the things I can do at 300+ pounds that people half my weight can’t do, like my upcoming 2nd 10k in just a couple of weeks. I am truly training to be awesome. Thank you, Molly, for helping show me how to embrace my accomplishments. I can’t believe how much different I already feel about myself!

10. Joanne says:

When I get a compliment sometimes I smile and sometimes I will make an excuse or blush. But when I went for my yearly checkup and my doctor said I can see you have been working out and eating healthy , even with your pacemaker . I wish more of my patients were like you. Well I told him that was my wish too. I am so happy to be unapologetically Strong.

Mantra: “My body is strong, and so I am, and I will no longer apologize for either of those truths.”

Yesterday & today’s mantras really got me & resonated with me.
    I’m just so the kind that tries to find some flaw to “compensate” the idea that I’m doing something good, even when I know that they are right & maybe I really deserved a compliment.
    I’m trying to change my mind-set into a humble-yet-I’m-good-enough one, because I feel that if I admit that I’m doing something fine, then I’m showing off. But definitely I’ll change that.

Thanks for the challenge n.n

12. Cathy says:

Love today!! Sooo often I think many of us have so much trouble just gracefully saying thank you when we are complimented. We may call it humility at the surface, but it’s thinking we aren’t those things, or aren’t good enough. We are our own worst critic, and it’s time to be gracious in accepting complements! This whole process is brining to light the awesome things about me, and everyone doing it. Now that we believe it we need to say thank you for it! Really needed this one…

13. Audrey says:

YES!!!..so after reading this, I did the much needed step in posting this on my facebook page “This is for me, part of a much needed process, so scroll past if you wish…

Hopefully it will speak to another woman like me who has struggled their whole life with self esteem issues, wishing they were petite, blonde, lean and perky…

Today I stepped on the scale(which I don’t do) thing is I actually expected it to be lower than last time because I feel great!… it was the HIGHEST its’ been in a long time…..so I am owing the number, all 166.4 of it…..I am unapologetically strong
    (is that even a word?), and I will no longer look in the mirror and wish I was something or someone else…I am very good at “if I could only”…truth is I have always been built like a bull, and have fought it all the way…so here’s to me….the start of my “no bashing, love me years”….yeah, I know…wholly shit, those arms… OWNING IT!”

and with that, I posted a pic of my earned GUNS…LOL…it made me feel so much better to actually say it!!!!