photo (3)

Yesterday was Day 10 of the Love Your Body Challenge, and the reason to love your body was,

“Because you are (or should be) unapologetically strong.”

There was one transformation story in particular that really touched me:

“I‘ll admit that I am a bit surprised how this challenge has already changed me, since Day 1.

I went to a baby shower this weekend and was already faced with a compliment that normally causes my awkward to go into overdrive. Normally when someone notices my weight loss, I blush and blurt out something about how these skinny jeans must be doing their job, or how I still have a long way to go.

Not this time!

Someone said to me “Girl, you’ve lost weight! You look good!”

I smiled proudly and said “Thank you! I FEEL great. I’ve added rowing to my routine and I’m loving it.”

This led to a genuine conversation about what we’ve been trying that has us feeling good and strong. Another thing I noticed was my inner response to the improvements she has made since I last saw her…

I was honestly happy for her, not secretly jealous. I know that it is because I am finding new strength and pride and self-love each day. The more I’m loving myself, the more I’m loving others and my world around me. Something has clicked, and I’m not going to apologize for feeling fantastic about it.”

Wow!  Big changes in this woman’s life are not only affecting her, but rippling and affecting those around her.  So cool.

So let’s go! Onto Day 11.

11. Because it deserves it.

Have you ever thought of that?  Loving your body simply because it deserves it? Because YOU deserve it? Because you’re worth it?

I was thinking about this recently when I was staying with a friend of a friend (who is now my friend!) and I was holding her sweet baby girl, Lily.  Lily is 14 months old and as precious as she can be.  She’s happy, sweet, lively, funny, and active.

Lily deserves love.

Sweet Ella

Sweet Ella

My sweet niece Ella is almost 5 years old, and she is funny, adorable, sweet, and precocious (not precious, although she is that — precocious.  She was using the words tibia and fibula properly at 23 months).

Ella deserves love.

You.  You are kind, strong, worthy, and smart.  You are a daughter, sister, mother, friend, niece, spouse, lover, girlfriend, boss, employee, neighbor, and caretaker.

You deserve love. And so does your body.

Can you imagine looking into the eyes of a precious little girl and telling her that she’s not good enough? Or that she’s not pretty enough?  Or that she’s fat?

I would hope not.

So at what point does it become OK to say these things to ourselves? At what age do we stop telling girls that they are wonderful and pretty and perfect and smart and that they can do anything they set their minds to?

We should never stop.

We should love our bodies because our bodies deserve love.

Mantra:  “My body is worthy and beautiful and it deserves love.”

Action step:  Take 5 minutes and write down why your body deserves love (I hope the “reasons” from the last 10 days pop up in there somewhere!)  Yes, these action steps and lists might be seeming a bit redundant, but that’s OK.  We *must* be consistently reminded of why we are so wonderful if we are going to ingrain this idea not only into our heads, but our hearts.

First and foremost, you deserve love simply for being yourself.  But you also deserve it for being loving, caring, strong, unique, a wonderful mother/teacher/business owner/nurse/provider, and so much more.  Give yourself ALL of the credit you deserve in this moment.

Checklist:

1. Make sure you’ve signed up for my newsletter so you can get links to the new challenge every morning!
2. Make sure you’ve filled out the 10 questions at the bottom of this page (DO THIS BEFORE DAY 1) so you have your “starting point.”
3. Say your mantra 10 times immediately, during your action step, and before bed.
4. Complete your action step.
5. Check in with your accountability partner if you have one.
6. Check back tomorrow for more.

OH!  3 more things –

1. PLEASE post about what you’re doing on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtags #LoveYourBodyChallenge or #LYBC.  This will allow you to connect with others doing the challenge, offer support and encouragement, and get ideas for your mantras and action steps.

2. PLEASE comment below and let us know what your mantra and your action steps are each day.  Again, this helps build support and community as well as offers ideas to those who might need them.

3. If you’re so inclined, feel free to send me pictures of your amazingly beautiful selves and I’ll post them in my Facebook album.  It’s essentially an album of pictures similar to what my fitness professional friends and I did on Day 1.  It’s a picture that you might normally not want to post, but you post it anyway along with a short blurb about your journey.  You can see the album here, and you can send pictures and your blurb to: 28DayLoveYourBodyChallenge@gmail.com It’s such a supportive community of women (and men) over there.  It’s awesome!

That’s all for now.

See you tomorrow!

1. Brooke Brown says:

Excellent! Too often, we forget we have these wonderful kiddos looking up to us. I love your completely positive messages!!

2. Joanne says:

I am trying to set a good example for my daughter , it’s hard. How will she ever learn to love herself and her body if I don’t love myself more. I don’t just go for long walks and to the gym for me. I try really hard not to say negative things about my body , and try to be comfortable in my body so she will also. We both have pacemakers and we try to eat healthy and exercise because we want to be here as long as we can. How are we going to get there? By loving our bodies and ourselves. Thanks Molly for showing us the way .

3. Melissa says:

My body deserves love because it is capable. It is strong. It is beautiful in all its perfections and imperfections. It is agile. It lets me do the things I want to do when I want to do them. It listens. It lets me know when things aren’t going well and when I need to take a break. In fact, it often screams at me so loud that I can’t help but listen. I want to thank my body for that. My body deserves love because I have put it through hell in the past. I have been mean to it. I have insulted it. I have hated it. My body deserves love because it’s mine, and it’s the only body I will have.

4. Diane Grady says:

Holy. Crap.

My body deserves love because it serves me well. It moves in wonderful and fantastical and attempts to do everything I ask of it. My body deserves love because it heals well and fast and rarely gets sick. It functions smoothly and beautifully. My body derserves love because my mind is sharp, creative, clear and smart. My body deserves love because my heart is big and full of love, compassion and joy and shares all of this freely. My body deserves love because it is expressive and allows me to share all of these thoughts and feelings with the world. Most of all, my body deserves love because it is mine. My one and only body. It is my permanant home, my temple and the most forgiving thing I have ever encountered. It is beyond time that I show it the same grace that it has shown me all these years.

Wow, Molly, must say that you nailed it this time!

“My body is worthy and beautiful and it deserves love.”
    I know it does. I’ve been following challenges that help me love my body, love myself & not just love it internally, but express that I love my body & everybody should do it too.

It’s surpisingly hard to do!, but in the end it is not impossible.
    I’ve witnessed how kind words of “go get it”, “you are beautiful”, “you can achieve anything you set your mind to” to “you don’t look thin enough”, “don’t you think you should start dieting?”, “you must resign & stop pursuing your dreams”. I know because I’ve been told that, and certainly it is not good that suddenly everything that matters is shallow & that thoughts we have about ourselves have no importance.

My body deserves love because…:
    -it is unique
    -functions properly
    -it is mine
    -it can move
    -allows me to do plenty of things
    -keeps going even when I think I might not
    -holds on tight, no matter the situation
    -cope with problems & finds solutions

Have a wonderful day!

6. Brier Frasier says:

#‎LoveYourBodyChallenge‬ Day 11- “My body is worthy and beautiful and it deserves love.” My body deserves love because it has rebounded and served me well through lots of stuff it wasn’t made to go through. It deserves love because it enables me to be my best, to give others my best and to change my little corner of the world by starting with me. It deserves love because I deserve love. Period. End of story.

7. Heather@YSP says:

My daughter deserves it and I’d smash anyone who told her otherwise no matter her shape or size. So minus thirty or so years, how am I any different? I’m as precious a soul as she is, and if I lose sight of that I can call my own mother for reassurance.

8. Heather says:

This is the challenge I’ve been anticipating with the most fear and reluctance. I know logically that I and my body deserve love. I firmly believe that about other people, so why not myself? This one is the hardest so far for me. And it was good to work through it.

My body deserves love because it’s the only body I will ever have. Ever. It’s mine and I’m responsible for it.
    It deserves love because I have been so mean to it. I have hated my body. I have called it so many hurtful names and treated it brutally.
    My body allows me to go on new adventures. It’s strong and capable of so many things, some of which I’m still learning.
    It allows me to be intimate with my husband, and it allows me to connect with people in real ways.
    It deserves love because it’s me and I’m a good person. I deserve love, too.

9. Davy says:

My body deserves love because it is mine, because it is the vessel that allows me to exist, because it is strong and fierce and can take more abuse than I often give it credit for, because it can cut up and haul away a 50 foot tree, because it relishes in hard manual labor including gardening/farming and housework, because it can keep pace with others when working out, because it is beautiful with its soft curves and muscles, because it can hold my husband and loved ones, because just its daily functions are pretty darn incredible, because it is unique, because it has the face that is my husband’s favorite in the world, because it has survived hardships, because even when I neglected it and abused it and hated it, it was still all of these things for me, and when I started treating it well, it responded by treating me even better, because it is the only one I will ever have.