photo (61)

Oh hiiiiiii!  Welcome to Day 14.  We are halfway through out 28 day challenge and I am so excited that you’ve stuck with it so far.  Hopefully it has become a part of your daily routine, and you’re noticing major changes in your thought process and outlook.

(Psssst…if you are.  I’d love to hear them below in the comments section! Thanks!)

Yesterday was Day 13 of the Love Your Body Challenge, and the reason to love your body was,

“Because it’s honesty and intuition is incredibly powerful.”

This day seemed to be more polarizing than many of the other days in terms of your all’s thoughts on your intuition.  Several women who are in recovery for eating disorders talked about how much mistrust they have with their body’s ability to give them hunger and fullness cues, and their mistrust surrounding their body’s ability to respond to an increase in calories.

“When I had my eating disorder, I was in a place where my body was the enemy. I was certain, when I started recovery, that my body was out of control and couldn’t be trusted. One of the hardest parts of recovery was starting to eat enough again and trusting that my body would get used to the food without ballooning…

…I’m learning now that the more I can trust it, the more it will just do what it needs to do. It’s balancing out, I’m starting to feel hunger and fullness cues more than ever before, and I’m even starting to trust my intuition when it comes to things like working out and which workout is “best” for me.”

Other women reached out and talked about being extremely ‘tuned in’ to their intuition and how beneficial this intuition is, and the more they take care of themselves, the better their intuition becomes.

“My body is like one big antenna. I can feel people’s intentions, I can connect with the divinity within them, I can tell if I should not trust them, I can tell if they are dangerous or afraid and respond in a way that is calming. Often, I can feel a “ringing true” when I am thinking or acting in alignment with what I feel is my highest self. Just as with any other antenna, I get a stronger and clearer signal the more I take care of myself, clear away static nutritionally and in my thinking, and tune in my energy with healthy activity and rest.”

14. Because I’m not just, “strong for a girl.”  I am just plain STRONG.

Yes, being strong is a reason we have touched on twice now, but with very good reason.  Recognizing our own strength is an absolutely critical piece of the self-embracement puzzle, and too often we simply think of being “strong” as just a physical attribute, and don’t recognize the mental and emotional strength we possess.

In that same vein, as I discussed last week, we often apologize for being strong.  We shy away and try to “dim our light” as to not offend or turn off anyone else.  Instead we must recognize that shining brightly unconsciously gives others permission to shine as well (thank you, Marianne Williamson).

Today we focus on the fact that we are not just, “strong for a girl.”

We don’t just, “look good for having 2 kids.”

And we’re not just, “pretty for our age.”

We just simply are those things.

No qualifiers necessary.

There’s no reason to set the bar lower because of our gender, age, size, or family status.  Know that.

Mantra:  “I am strong, smart, powerful, and beautiful, and my actions have a direct and positive effect on these truths.”

Action step:  Take 5 minutes to write down beliefs you have, or compliments you’ve been given that are similar to those above  Then re-write them without the qualifier, and add what you have done to deserve the compliment so that you can truly believe it.  Then read them to yourself 3 times.

For example, “you look great for having 2 kids,” becomes, “I look great because I’ve worked very hard in the gym to get stronger, and I’ve been very diligent with my nutrition and sleep.”

This allows you to recognize that these truths are based on your actions, and therefore truly acknowledge and accept them.

Keep your eyes peeled for Day 15

1. Kristie says:

“You’re pretty fit for a bigger girl.” That’s something I’ve heard from others, as well as tell myself. You know what though? I’ve worked out with friends who most would naturally consider “fit” and pretty much ran circles around them when it came to strength and endurance. I am passionate about exercise and I walk, run, hike, kayak, bike, swim, do yoga, do Zumba, erg, elliptical, plank, you name it. I am fit. Period.

2. Audrey says:

I just posted this on my facebook page to make it real to me…”This is for me, part of a much needed process, so scroll past if you wish…

Hopefully it will speak to another woman like me who has struggled their whole life with self esteem issues, wishing they were petite, blonde, lean and perky…

Today I stepped on the scale(which I don’t do) thing is I actually expected it to be lower than last time because I feel great!… it was the HIGHEST its’ been in a long time…..so I am owing the number, all 166.4 of it…..I am unapologetically strong
    (is that even a word?), and I will no longer look in the mirror and wish I was something or someone else…I am very good at “if I could only”…truth is I have always been built like a bull, and have fought it all the way…so here’s to me….the start of my “no bashing, love me years”….yeah, I know…wholly shit, those arms… OWNING IT! (insert picture of my guns..lol)

3. Loving your challenge Molly!

I still need work on ACCEPTING compliments.

Yesterday when I was getting off of the air plane, a lady came up to me and asked me if I was a model. I laughed and said no! Then she said “well you should be because I have been admiring you this whole flight.”

I couldn’t believe her and just said “oh, well thank you, but no I am not a model”

I am proud of myself for saying thank you to the woman, but in my head I still don’t accept it. After a long flight I felt awful and just wanted to shower and go to bed and kept thinking “how could she possibly think I could be a model!? I look awful!”

4. Renee says:

My husband tells me every day that we have been together, he just gets more and more proud of me. When we first started dating, I had A TON of emotional baggage, and didn’t think I could believe him. Fast forward three years, and I can actually accept his compliments, and actually believe them! I AM strong, AND smart, AND, beautiful AND a good cook to boot. AND I’m pretty sure I have the best hubby EVER!! =D <3

5. Melanie says:

Whenever I mention to people that I have a daughter who is about to graduate high school, they always say things like, “Wow! Did you have her when you were in high school? You don’t look old enough to have a child that age!”

While that is awesome to hear, I know it’s because of the hard work I’ve done. When I was 26 years old and going through a divorce, I looked like I was in my 40s. The stress that put me through added years to my body, in that I walked like an old lady and I just looked “old”. You know what I mean? There was no light to my life.

Except there was light. And that was my daughter, at first. I looked at her, and thought about how much I loved her, and how much she deserved a healthy mom. A mom who could be here for her for the long haul, because I sure knew her dad was not going to be anyone she could count on.

So, I made a decision one day, right before my 27th birthday. I started exercising, started practicing yoga, started eating healthier. I’m 42 years old now, and I’ve adjusted and tweaked things along the way, as I am continually learning more and more about health and wellness, and learning how to apply what I am learning to what makes the most sense for ME.

So, when people tell me that I look too young to have a high school senior, I simply smile and say thank you. But I know WHY I look good. I look good because I care about myself. I love myself enough to do everything in my power to ensure I am around to see my grandkids, and even my great-grandkids. I love myself enough to set a great example for my daughters (yes, I married again – a wonderful man – and our daughter is 11 years old now), so that they can see they are worth the same amount of self-love, because they deserve the very best.

6. Brier Frasier says:

#LoveYourBodyChallenge Day 14- “I am strong, smart, powerful, and beautiful, and my actions have a direct and positive affect on these truths.” Every experience I’ve had has shaped who I am today, but more than that, how I RESPOND to my experiences makes me who I am. My self-talk, my focus, my efforts, my hard work, my fun, my surrender, my leaning into difficult situations and moving through them, my acceptance of myself, and others, and the the world as it is. All of these shape who I am inside and out. I’ve always been told I am strong and I treated that as an accident, like it was luck of the draw. But it isn’t. I am strong, smart, powerful and (got stuck on this part……….) yes, beautiful. My actions, thoughts and perceptions—my choices—have created a self that I really want to be today.

7. Diane Grady says:

I’m probably one of the most guilty parties when it comes to this. I quantify my acheivements all the time. I’m notorious for saying to someone who is scared to try a new class, or thinking they can’t finish one, “Don’t let the fat girl beat you.” Or even just the seemingly innocent, “If I can do it, then you will definitly be able to.” “I’m pretty fit for a fat girl” comes out of my own mouth a lot, as well. From today on, I will try things such as, “I had a hard time at first, too.”, or encouraging someone through a particularly rough patch in a a workout.

I will also stop undermining my own accomplishments just because I’m still overweight. Because when I’m honest with myself, I do recognize that there are people who are 100 pounds lighter than myself who can’t do what I can. I’m not “in shape for a fat girl”, I’m just in shape. And I’m pretty proud of what this body can do.

One of the most hurtful comments that anyone has every said to me was when my stepmom said, “If you could just get down to where you were in high school, you were so pretty in your senior pictures.” It really made me angry. I’m just as pretty now as I was a decade and a half ago. (I didn’t even think I was pretty then, at least I can see glimmers of it now without forcing myself to see it.) She hasn’t gone there in a while, but should the conversation ever come up again, I believe I will tell her about all the things she should appreciate now, instead of waiting until I’m what she feels is a more socially acceptable size. I have beautiful bright brown eyes, and naturally long, thick lashes. I have think slightly auburn, dark brown hair with it’s own boistorious personality. I have delicate, nimble fingers. I have strong, powerful legs and some pretty rockin’ calf definition these days. I have big, stable feet that do what I ask of them, and nice cheerful toes. I have strong shoulders and back. I’ll even go there- I have nice boobs! ;)

I am strong and beautiful, with no explanation, apologies or quantifiers needed. And this may be the first time I’ve ever said it without cringing.

8. Cathy says:

I find that I almost put words in peoples mouth when they compliment me, or act shocked at my completing a race or triathlon. I assume they are questioning those things because I am not exactly small and lean. I have said “I know… even a big girl can do it” or “According to my Dr I am as healthy as humanly possible, even big girls can be healthy”

I will be changing my mind set and assume they are shocked at those things because they think its crazy and awesome, not because they have doubt in their mind. Even if they do have the shock for negative reasons, it doesn’t matter what they think, I will be proud, and know I am a freakin rockstar.

I have been confident because I’ve worked out along with my body: I have listened to it & its needs; I have nurture myself with high quality food, lots of sleep, movement, relaxation & rest when I need it; I have read & done things that inspire me; & I have pushed my limits and prove myself wrong, because I can do a lot of things, even the ones that I’m most afraid of.

10. Heather@YSP says:

I’m pretty for a fat girl. I’m sexy for my size. I’m smart for a girl. I have a beautiful marriage, but just you wait. (People say this to us all the time!)

I’m pretty. I’m sexy. I’m smart. I have an awesome marriage. And while I’m at it? I’m funny and dependable and loving. I’m a great friend, an awesome listener, and a kickass mom. Thanks for the reminder.

11. Jenna says:

I have been loving this challenge so far and it has really helped me have more confidence in myself. However, today’s challenge did not resonate with me. I never felt offended if someone told me I was “strong for a girl” or “look good for my age.” It’s a fact of life that 1.) men are naturally stronger than women and 2.) everyone ages. It’s more challenging for a 40 or 50 yr old, for example, to maintain or get into the shape they were in during their 20′s. Or to have the flawless skin of a 20 yr old. The fact is, our bodies are less forgiving as we age. I don’t take offense if a man can lift more than me or run faster than me. Biologically it is in their genes. So it makes me extra proud when there is a man I can out lift or out run. To me, that’s a huge accomplishment!