Hiii!  Welcome to Day 16 of the Love Your Body Challenge!  Yesterday was, obviously, Day 15 and the the reason to love your body was,

“Because it has put up with all of my antics and it still thrives.”

I was super open about how I’ve abused my body in the past, and many of you reached out with your own stores.  Here is one of my favorites:

“My body has put up with all of my antics and it still thrives. And for that, it deserves love.”

My body has been through a lot and keeps on ticking. I remember going on “low carb” diets when I was 9 or 10 and being too weak to do anything, holding in a ton of stress as a kid, being a perfectionist, keeping myself so task oriented when it came to exercise that I never really learned how to just play.

I have put my body through decades of constant, negative self-talk, poisoned myself with excessive amounts of alcohol and drugs, binged on junk food, or when I was trying to “do better” I stayed on cardio machines and ate “low fat” diets. Then I did excessive amounts of HIIT to try to work out in what I thought was a healthy way, only to find out that even though I lost 50 pounds I burned out my adrenal system and damaged my metabolism.

Through all of that, my body has stayed healthy, with no surgeries, major diseases or long lasting problems. It has healed itself from alcoholism and addiction to drugs, food, excess of every kind and in particular is now healing itself from all of that negative self-talk. It carries me faithfully through life and allows me to share myself with others, to help others and to have fun and love.

I actually wish I could be half as loyal as my body has been to me. I’m pretty lucky.”

So much to be grateful for!  And now, Day 16.

16. Because it looks amazing in a dress and heels.

We’ve already talked about loving our body because it’s beautiful, which is incredible, but it’s also very broad.  Today I want to touch on something a little more specific — a dress and heels.

Wearing a flattering dress and a sexy pair of heels makes me very beautiful.  Working in the fitness industry, I spend 95% of my time in yoga pants and a workout top, so when I get to dress up, it’s a special occasion.  Now this might not be the case for you — maybe you feel that you look your best in workout clothes, or maybe it’s a pair of jeans that fit you just right… whatever you have in your closet that makes you feel like a million bucks, that is the subject of today’s focus.

photo (62)**Another thing to note is that it’s quite obvious that my body type is different than a lot of my friends, but I’ve learned to embrace it and rock my dresses and heels anyway.

Yes, I realize that today’s reason might seem a bit superficial to some of you, but I assure you, it’s not.  There’s a reason that taking care of our outer appearance gives us an internal boost.  When you feel like you look nice, and when you take pride in your appearance, it can change your whole attitude.

You know as well as I do that there’s a whole different air of confidence that you have when you feel like you look amazing, and that’s something to be grateful for.

Mantra:  “I look absolutely incredible when I wear <insert item here>, and that makes me feel good. “

Action step:  Take a second to write down the things that you have in your closet that really flatter your body and make you feel very confident.  Then figure out why they make you feel so confident?  Do they should off your muscular shoulders or your tiny waist?  Do they make your legs look like they go on for miles? Does the color brighten your face and flatter your skin tone?  Figure out what you like so much about it, and picture how good you feel when you wear it.

Remember, when you feel confident, you’ll glow from the inside out!

That’s all for today!  See you tomorrow!

1. Kristie says:

I look absolutely incredible in a beachy maxi dress, and that makes me feel good! I’m from Hawaii and I look the part. My dad is Hawaiian (think spear-fishing) and my mom is caucasion (think Vikings). With those genes, I’m pretty much built like a warrior, which isn’t exactly the epitome of sexy. But when I put on that maxi dress and let down my long dark hair, I feel like a goddess from the sea. A long, beach-inspired dress lets my fun, playful, easy-going side shine through. When the clothes I’m wearing helps express the good I’m feeling on the inside, that is when I feel great.

2. such a great reason and mantra today Molly!!!! I totally agree that if you feel you look good, you also feel better on the inside!

whenever I feel crumby (and am usually wearing pyjamas or baggy clothes when this feeling comes over me) my mom always tells me to put on some nice clothes! then she always says the following quote…

“when you look good, you feel good, and you do good!”

🙂

• Sandy says:

This is such great advice & I absolutely love your Mom’s quote! I may just have to “borrow” it & make it my own. ;o)

3. Sandy says:

I love wearing my tank workout top that shows off my strong shoulders & arms. As I continue to make changes in becoming healthier & fitter my arms & shoulders always seem to develop & change first. I find myself standing up straighter & checking out the different lines & cuts developing in my reflection. I feel strong. I feel unstoppable.

4. Brier Frasier says:

#LoveYourBodyChallenge- Day 16: “I look absolutely incredible when I wear nothin’, and that makes me feel good. “ Yep, I’m not a dress and heels person. At all. What I am is a person who likes to be comfortable and mobile and that means more casual wear for me. All joking aside, I am happier when I look in the mirror than I used to be and I’m really feeling good about that.

5. Maria Mager says:

Thanks for posting this 28 day challenge because it is helping me to love my physical self, which has been tough. I love this mantra. For so long I wore baggy clothes because I was comfortable and they hid my curves, and I thought I looked thin. Which really wasn’t the case. Then about 2years ago i decided that I would wear clothes that fit my body, show off the effort and time I put into creating a more muscular, yet feminine build. I was so uncomfortable at first, I didn’t like what I saw . It’s been an uphill battle for me. It eventually became easier to wear the tighter clothes. Because now when I wear baggy clothes I am uncomfortable. My new favorite pieces are more form fitting or pieces that show off my legs. And I always wear some cool boots or shoes. THANKS for bringing this issue to light, I don’t want my awesome nieces to struggle with this, because it can be very painful and unproductive.

6. Molly, this is SO awesome! I get so tired of people putting down others for actually taking pride and feeling good about how they look! It’s okay to be a little vain sometimes. We don’t work hard to be healthy and strong to not show it off once in a while! I absolutely agree with you that it is just the opposite of superficial – it’s beneficial. I love that I look incredible in a nice form-fitting dress and heels, or a maxi dress, or skinny jeans and a tank top. Love this whole challenge!

7. Dawn says:

Thanks Molly for the 28 day challenge. I still struggle with the negative comments I make about my body. I catch myself and get mad that I make such negative comments. I’m a healthy 42 yr old female, no major or minor health issues and should be more appreciate of the body I have. I work out 5-7 times a week. I’m 5’1″ with a muscular hour glass shape. My boyfriend says I’m build more like a gymnast. I feel my body looks great in more form fitting clothing. Having a large chest and wearing long flowy tops just does not mix. I love to wear heels and skirts or dressy shorts. I often get complements on my legs and need to embrace that, but for some reason I dream of having long legs. Thanks again. I’m really working hard to love my body 🙂

8. Diane Grady says:

I look incredible in my little black pencil skirt, some nice heels and a button down top. That skirt excentuates all the rigt curves in all the right places. And the hubs loves how it hugs my booty. I also think I look great in some straight leg jeans, a ribbed tank and my Chuck Taylors. Both outfits highlight a different, yet very true and distinct aspect of who I am.

Well, I find this reason a bit more important than maybe a lot of people would consider. I’m not the kind of girl who dresses up really often. I’m more like always wearing the clothes that I know don’t look good on me (or not as good as other would do the trick).
    I’ve been thinking a lot about the why &, honestly I guess I’m kinda scared of being & feel pretty. It might be weird, but it is true!
    From now on I will put my all effort to stop that thought from stopping me to get to look like I want & I know I look great in.

Molly, thank you so much for putting this challenge on. I feel much more confident already & inspired to take action on the things that I want n.n

10. Erika says:

This site inspires me to workout. Most of the time I wear a yoga top and pants because I’m a casual person. Just for grins I tried on my cocktail dress and black pumps and I definitely look better in the mirror these days.

11. Crystal says:

So looking forward to this coming Friday night because I will be rocking a dress and heels and will take a picture and tag #LYBC so you can see it too! It just so happened that Day 16’s challenge for me is not a dress/heels day so you’ll have to wait 🙂 (I’m behind the challenge just over a week so still playing catch up.)