Sweatt Shop Everyone laughing crop

(Psssst! If you’re “late” to the challenge and just getting started, that’s OK too! Just go at your own pace!  Start with this blog post and scroll to the bottom, and make sure you have what you need to complete the challenge and fill out the 10 questions you need to fill out before you get started.  Then you can take it day by day at your own pace!)

Phew!

Yesterday (Day 1) of the Love Your Body Challenge was absolutely nuts.  Your response to this Challenge has been overwhelming and so encouraging to me.

You know, when you put something like this together, you’re always a little nervous about backlash, or even worse — apathy.  But you all have encouraged me and “filled me up” more than you could ever imagine with your encouraging words, stories, and messages.  Thank you!

OK so here we are at Day 2 of the Challenge.  I hope you enjoyed Day 1, because I know I did.  You all played a huge role in making yesterday THE most successful blog post of mine, to date.  So thank you for spreading the word so we can help as many people as possible.

I hope you enjoyed yesterday’s  mantra and action step.  I know that I cried when I said the mantra aloud, and I totally did not expect that.  What a touching thought that your body is your home.  It’s not your enemy, not your whipping boy…it’s your home. And it’s all yours.  I snuggled up in my bed and had delicious coffee mid afternoon as my action step, and it was heavenly.

Reason # 2 to Love Your Body:

2. Because it’s capable

Think of all the amazing things that you can do.  Maybe you can do incredibly complex math problems, or perform brain surgery, or deadlift your body weight, or breastfeed your baby, or play the harmonica, or speak 3 languages, or sing like an angel, or nurse someone back to health, or teach children to read, or dunk a basketball.  Me?  I like to make people laugh!

What other machine on Earth has the capability to do/learn every single one of these things.  None. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

We are such a complex and divine piece of machinery, that we should constantly be in awe of ourselves, and I would be willing to bet that there is something, at least one thing, that you do better than almost anyone else.

Figure out exactly what that is, and relish in it.  It doesn’t even have to be appreciated by anyone else but you — because YOU are what we are working on here.  Whether you were born with it, or it’s a skill that you honed, be proud of it!

Mantra: ”I am capable of  _________, and that’s awesome.  In fact, I am capable of anything I set my mind to, that I am willing to work for. “

Action Step

You have two choices here (choose 1):

1. Engage in the activity that you talked about in your mantra if possible, and if it makes you smile.  Remember to repeat the mantra while you are doing it.

2. Think about something that you’ve been wanting to do/learn/practice/master for a long time, and set yourself a reasonable time limit to achieve it.  Reasonable is the key word here.  Keep repeating the mantra to remind yourself that you can do anything that you set your mind to as long as you’ll work for it.

That’s it for today!

Checklist

1. Make sure you’ve signed up for my newsletter so you can get links to the new challenge every morning!
2. Make sure you’ve filled out the 10 questions at the bottom of this page (DO THIS BEFORE DAY 1) so you have your “starting point.”
3. Say your mantra 10 times immediately, during your action step, and before bed.
4. Complete your action step.
5. Check in with your accountability partner if you have one.
6. Check back tomorrow for more.
7. Spread the word and share your experiences on Facebook and Twitter with the #LoveYourBodyChallenge hashtag.  If you’re on Twitter, and that’s simply too long, use #LYBC.  This will enable more women to find the challenge, and you’ll be helping to change lives!

See you tomorrow!

1. Kirsten Shaw says:

Congrats on the successful post and the impact it has and will continue to have on beautiful women everywhere!

This challenge reminds me of a post I wrote for IFAST about loving your body:

I’ve hit the 99lb mark on my weight loss. To say I’m motivated to lose that next pound is the understatement of the universe. But even at almost 300 pounds, I knew that loving my perfectly imperfect body started from within.

Once that brick is in place, anyone can build an empire of self-love and unstoppable goal-achieving.

JugHugs,
    Kirsten

2. Amy says:

Thanks again Molly for the post, its crazy how uplifting that mantra is! :)
    For all the blogs and pages Ive been following this is the first time Ive really replied and what the hell, whats stopping me. Ive done so much but I dont really give myself credit or recognition for it. Im 57kg and can bench 52.5kg, I can squat 65kg and last night deadlifted 100 kg and I know Im capable of more :)
    Im in the last year of my PhD, it takes up so much time and sometimes I feel like I cant go on with it!But I am capable in completing my PhD!
    Im so excited to follow the rest of this challange. Knowing theres other women out there feeling the exact same as me is so comforting and makes me feel so much stronger! :)

3. I can’t even begin to tell you how much these posts and this challenge are speaking to me. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for over 10 months now. After being advised to cut back on my exercise level I joined Crossfit two days a week and began walking, doing yoga and a day of cycling. Since starting Crossfit I have gained 10 pounds and with a history of ED, body image issues and self esteem issues this has been tough for me. No matter how many people tell me, “It’s muscle not fat!” I’ve still been struggling with that number going up and my clothes getting tighter. I listened to a podcast months ago with Sarah and Jason where you were interviewed and I remember Jason raving about how fit, beautiful and amazing you were. I began following your blog and couldn’t agree more with his comments. I do have to admit though as a fellow 5’10″ woman it made me feel so much better about those pounds I have gained when you posted your pictures with your weight. You look amazing in each picture and it gave me perspective as to what 152 pounds of muscle actually looks like. I can’t thank you enough just for that post alone as I’m already feeling better about the changes my body is incurring. I look forward to this challenge everyday already and it’s only day 2!

• Lo says:

I feel like there is someone out there who gets me! Thank u for sharing ur thoughts. I hope u have success in ur trying, I am in the same boat, but exercise makes me feel human, I’m finishing up p90x3 and the scale hasn’t, budged, but I feel stronger so I keep going, best of luck to u. Thanks for saying what u r feeling.

4. Chrissy says:

very excited for 28 day challenge

5. Thank you for today’s post.. I really had to think about it.

6. Theresa says:

Thank you so much for this challenge. Just this week (Monday) I was told by my friend, who also is my child’s day care provider that she had to talk with me but didnt want it to affect our friendship. Apparently my child has been discussing weight quite frequenty (he’s 4) and has also told his friends that his mommy will cry because she’s fat even though daddy and I tell her she’s not. I have been devastated. I thought I hid those emotion from my children…my husband tells me all the time that I’m beautiful and he can’t take the put downs anymore I give myself,but I always ignore him. But NOW… I can’t…I do not want my children to see this of me….and I WANT to love me-stretch marks, a burn, and a small loose belly from 3 c sections. So Thank You…it was as if you started this challenge for me after my recent daycare endeavors. I will love myself by day28!

• Anya says:

Theresa, your story caused me to want to reach out to you, and give you a virtual hug. I can relate to the circumstance you describe – that your husband tells you all the time that he thinks you’re beautiful but you can’t/don’t accept that from him. I tend to do the same. It’s clear that our husbands see the “real” us (all of our strengths, our character, our gifts) and we are so quick to brush that off and focus on a stretch mark, a puffy tummy, a scar… hearing this from you makes me realize that we are overlooking the greatest gifts of all – our SELVES, and the people who choose to surround us because they love and value who we are. The most challenging thing of all, to me…is knowing that I will not be able to accept my husband’s love until I love myself.

It’s painful – and yet the Universe has put this community, these tools, and Molly’s care and guidance in our path so that we can heal.

(Thank you, Molly! You are incredible!)

Theresa, best of luck to you on this journey…

• Melanie says:

Girl, I have been there, and I know exactly how you feel. It’s so important for us to set examples for our children to LOVE THEMSELVES AS THEY ARE, right?

7. Aimee says:

Beginning of the challenge and everyday I can’t wait for tomorrow. Thank you for this awesome, feel great, and amazing challenge! In love with it!

8. Gabrielle says:

Day 2 has already made a difference; where normally I’d be berating my body for some little imperfection the positivity of this exercise has found be having difficulties deciding which amazing thing I’m capable of to use in the mantra. Thanks Molly xx

9. Kelly says:

Just this morning, my 12 year old daughter told me she hates her thighs. She hates how her jeans fit. She says she looks at “EVERY girl’s thighs” and knows hers are the biggest. I wanted to cry, because I’ve been there. I HATED my thighs, growing up. No matter what I did they never got thinner. Now I like them. It took 40 years and time in the weight room, but I like them. They can squat my body weight. They allow me to walk, run, skip, and for these very basic things I am thankful because I know others do not have use of their legs at all or in a limited capacity.

I don’t know how to help her though. I told her she HAS to stop comparing herself to others. HAS to. I told her she should love her thighs, because they help her play lacrosse and field hockey, her favorite sports. She’s not buying it. It breaks my heart.

I don’t mean to be a downer, but if I can’t help her, she’s going to grow up like me, hating her body until she’s 46 years old and finally realizing her body is amazing. She needs to know it NOW! So I think I might have to let her in on this challenge too. Wouldn’t it be nice to see a whole generation of girls grow up body confident?

10. Allison says:

I resisted this one. PMS moodiness was a contributor, but in shifting my focus from being unhappy with how I look, I realized that I’m very much unhappy with what I’m capable of doing right now.

After years of not being a problem, asthma has reared its ugly head again, and until recently I had crappy health insurance that made getting treatment unaffordable. I’ve also been resisting admitting that it’s a problem. As a result, I’ve become way less active. I moved to a new city and never found a place to continue muay thai, which I loved. I haven’t done a mud run in over a year. I feel crappy not only because of the weight I’ve gained, but because of the strength and stamina that I’ve lost. I feel at odds with my body.

But this morning, I started thinking about how resiliant I’ve been in the face of difficult times, and how successful I’ve been on a personal and career level. I identify as a life-long learner, and as someone who can adapt and thrive. So today I said: “I am capable of learning and adapting, and that’s awesome.” Because it IS awesome, and those traits will take me far indeed.

One step at a time.

11. Melissa says:

Loving the challenge so far! My mantra for Day 2 was ”I am capable of being consistent on the driving range, and that’s awesome. In fact, I am capable of anything I set my mind to, that I am willing to work for. “

Now, I’m not an avid golfer. In fact, I’ve never even attempted to play an actual game of golf, aside from mini golf, because it seemed too hard. However, I’ve been to the driving range with my husband twice, once with his friends and once by ourselves. When I kept hitting the ball consistently in the same straight line, my husband was shocked and started telling his friends to watch (no pressure, right!). Even they were surprised and gave me praise. I’ve never been “good” at any one thing, so this made me feel awesome. It’s been a few years since I went to the driving range and my husband still tells his friends about it and brings it up during golf talk. Makes me feel like a million bucks. My goal/action step is go to the driving range again and keep up the good work, possibly even try a real game of golf!

12. Deanna Rizzo says:

I just want to encourage anyone out there to do this. Our thoughts are so powerful, yet we use that power to convince ourselves that we are just not good enough. By simply stating that “yes, we are good enough…we are strong, we are beautiful, we are capable” really can change your life. Say it every day, and say it to someone else who needs to hear it. Thank you Molly, for this.

13. Angela says:

I am really having problems with thinking of one thing I am really good at!!! There are lots if things that I used to do that I was proud of (play piano, grow and breast feed five babies), but these days, I feel nearly replaceable. Yes, my kids count on me every single day (ages 5-12)…and I DO make really yummy cookies and brownies but it seems counter-productive to enjoy and regularly participate in something that doesn’t help me get the strong body I deserve. I am not good at limiting myself when it comes to baking. :). I guess I am really good at and enjoy sleep. :). That is healthy for me!!

14. Aimee says:

I am in need of this challenge as I work towards self-acceptance. After years of fat talk and negative thoughts about my body I’m ready to recover. I’ve lost 70 pounds since 2007 and kept it off. I’ve taken up running, strength training and yoga. However, for 30 years I convinced myself that I was incapable of athleticism because I was overweight. My body is strong and growing fitter every day. Despite this I often think of myself still as a “big” girl. However, I am capable of being an athlete. I’m truly in awe of what my body has accomplished in the last 7 years. It’s time to see what else it’s capable of accomplishing. So in September I will be running the Vermont 50, a 50 mile ultra marathon.

15. Jenn says:

This challenge came just at the right time. I’ve struggled with poor body image for over 15 years and I’m finally at a place where I am ready to begin the journey of loving and accepting my body. I didn’t post a comment on your first post or your day 1 post, but I’ve been working on my action items like an eager student. I will be posting occasional updates on my blog. For Day 2, I am setting the end of this year as my deadline to get one muscle up!

16. April says:

This is great, we so often sell ourselves short in every way. I had a hard time thinking of something. Ok, I’m pretty good at relating to animals, and I’ve always been a quick study in many different areas. I talked this out with my husband, and one of the things that he suggested is my favorite and set up my mantra from that: ”I am capable of great compassion, and that’s awesome. In fact, I am capable of anything I set my mind to, that I am willing to work for. “ It was hard to admit to better at certain things than others, so I guess I’m going to love myself in so many ways.

17. Andrea says:

I am capable of providing people with a fun way to relieve stress and be healthy, and that is awesome. In fact, I am capable of anything that I put my mind to, that I am willing to work for.

Love this. Can’t wait to say this to myself while I teach Kickboxing today :)

18. Melanie says:

Loving the challenge so far! I began Day 2 today, and My mantra for Day 2 is ”I am capable of becoming stronger, and that’s awesome. In fact, I am capable of anything I set my mind to, that I am willing to work for.”

I’ve been working on strength training since November, but it is very hard for me to do. Prior to this, I was an avid runner, but a plethora of health issues put that to a halt. I’ve been depressed ever since, because I always ran with a group, and it was very much a part of my social life…I never get to see those friends anymore, because I simply cannot run more than 3 miles at this point, and am super slow. I teach indoor cycling 1X per week and also practice yoga, but those are not as social as running always has been for me.

I found a friend I can strength train with, but we can only meet 1X per week. I know I need 2 more sessions, but can’t stand doing it alone. My doc has reiterated that I need strength training more than cardio, and I know he’s right…my Paleo resources (I’ve been Paleo in terms of food now for just over a year) also hammer that point in. And when I read this Day 2 post, the strength training is what immediately popped out to me in terms of what I need to work on in order to find the best ME that I can.

So, my hope is that as I repeat this mantra to myself throughout the day, I will figure out a way to make it happen. Maybe it’s as simple as sucking up the insecurity of working out alone and just DOING IT. Gotta find my inner strength.

19. I am capable of bouncing back from knee surgery, and that’s awesome! Actually, yesterday marks one year since the procedure. It’s been a very LONG year and more than a few times I felt like I would never be able to be as active as I once was, but here I am running and (half) squatting and yoga-ing again! Even today’s workout, though not focussed on lower body, would not have been possible this time last year! I can’t help but feel so proud of myself for all the progress that I’ve made and looking back and seeing the difference only helps to give me motivation to do more! I’m working on being able to sit in Child’s Pose without any pain and thanks to my new found love for hot yoga, I believe that goal is in sight!

20. Amy says:

I am amazed that I can run. I ran HILLS yesterday in the LA Big 5K when lots of others around me walked (which is totally fine) and I sprinted the last 1/8 of a mile or so to the finish line. My recovery time is getting shorter and I feel great the next day. I am totally capable of running and it IS awesome!

When I started my weight loss journey in Sept 2013, I weighed 226 lbs and walking up the stairs was a challenge. Today I weigh 164 and I can run. :-) WOW!

The second part of this day was to pick a goal and work toward it. I am going to run/bike/run a duathlon in May. That’s my goal. I can do it, I know I can!

Thank you, Molly for this challenge!

Best,

Amy

21. Felicity says:

I’m a little late joining but just wanted to share–I teach group fitness and I had a tshirt made for my classes: “Come Home to Your Body.” My hope is to help women to feel comfortable and empowered in their own skin–inspired by Martha Graham’s quote–”The body is a sacred garment…”
    Sharing your blog and this Challenge with my students… :-)

22. Grace says:

I had to think about this one for a while, but once I wrote down a few examples of things I’m capable of, I ended up on a roll and felt SO uplifted and motivated by the end! Then I had to choose one for my mantra, and that was the really tricky bit :P I went with, “I am capable of singing opera, and that’s awesome.” It’s funny … during my musical training, and now in my performing work, I am surrounded by super talented people all the time, so tend to think, “Yeah, I sing opera, but so-and-so is better than me, and this person has so much more experience, etc,” and completely forget that, um, I can sing OPERA. My body knows how to move the tiniest muscles in my throat by minuscule degrees entirely at my whim in order to produce a sound that can fill a theatre without the help of a microphone. In multiple languages. That’s pretty freaking bad-ass!

23. DSmith says:

I wish I could have felt better about this one, but instead it made me feel inadequate. Everytime I tried to find something positive my inner critic came up with 10 reasons why it wasn’t true. Also had a talk with my husband tonight about him accepting my body the way it is–and not the way he wants it to be–that didn’t go well. He told me that I don’t try hard enough.

24. Billie says:

I am late to this but I started two days ago and already I feel great! I admit I struggled with thinking of something I was good at, that’s so sad right? So I asked my boyfriend and what he said was so beautiful. He gave me a list but the one that stuck out was my ability to rise to the challenge no matter how afraid I was…and he gave me loads of examples. You really don’t know how your other half see you sometimes.ANYWAY, My challenge to myself was to deadlift 80kgs by June(previously DL was 72kg) Well somehow managed to DL 82.5kg yesterday. So I guess I sell myself short sometimes…My new goal is 100kg by the end of June :)

25. I am excited to start the the 28 challenge today- I hope that is ok! I wanted to start 28 days ago but last month my husband and I moved to Costa Rica so I just did not have the time to give this process the attention it deserved.