Welcome! Welcome!  Welcome!

It’s day 24 of the Love Your Body Challenge and I am SO glad you’re here!  Yesterday was Day 23, and the reason to love your body is:

“Because it’s SO smart.”

We discussed how our body is doing so many incredible things all the time that we don’t even recognize.  From pumping blood to carrying nutrients to cells to regulating your body temperature to taking in zillions of bit of information about your surroundings all in an instant to let you know whether you should laugh, smile, or cry.

Our bodies are so amazing and so smart.

Here is what Melissa had to say about it:

“I think taking time to really think about what my body IS doing really helps me forgive it for what its NOT doing. I often find myself lost in self-pity, wondering, and self-loathing because of the functions my body is not performing; the things other peoples’ are doing that are just “normal.” But our bodies are doing SO many things, that it easier to forgive it for its shortcomings if we just keep that in mind.”

I love her honesty and her perspective here — focus on the positive to drown out the negative. Perfect!

Now, Day 24.

24. Because it’s resilient.

Resilience is defined as:

1. an individual’s ability to properly adapt to stress and adversity
2. the ineffable quality that allows some people to be knocked down by life and come back stronger than ever
3. the ability to become strong, healthy, or successful again after something bad happens

Man! Is being resilient an incredible quality or what?

To be completely honest, resilience wasn’t a quality I thought much about until a year or two ago, in the months shortly after my Dad unexpectedly passed away.  As you can imagine, that was an incredibly painful experience and I still grieve that loss daily.

Within 9 months of his death, I ended a good 6 year relationship (notice I said good, not great).  I had to move home with my parents, give up ownership in a shared business venture, and scariest of all, I had to be alone.  I was alone for the first time in 8 years (I had a serious 2 year relationship before the 6 year).  I literally had never been on my own in my adult life.

In addition, my businesses were undergoing major transitions, and my body was completely out of whack hormonally.  Needless to say, I was dealing with an incredible amount of physical, personal, and professional stress.

It was in that time that I recognized my own resilience.

I recognized my ability to get up after being knocked down over and over again.

photo (70)

I tell you what.  That is an amazing feeling.  Knowing that you can go through utter hell and come out the other side better, stronger, and more grateful is absolutely incredible.  It gives you a sense of peace that everything will be OK, all the time, no matter what, because it’s up to you, and you can do it.

Fast forward a couple of years and I’ve met the love of my life, I’ve got two businesses that I feel absolutely beyond passionate about, my body looks and feels the best that it’s looked in years, I’m hitting PR’s in the gym in a few of my favorite lifts, and I couldn’t be happier.

All because I chose to get back up.

Mantra:
 ”My body and mind are incredibly resilient.  They not only allow me, but encourage me to get back up after I’ve been knocked down.”

Action step:  Take 5 minutes to write about a time in your life where you’ve displayed incredible resilience.  Maybe it was getting through law school as a single Mom, or leaving an abusive relationship, or losing a loved one.  Whatever it is, write about all of the ways you displayed resilience in that time, and allow yourself to bask in the pride that comes with that acknowledgment.

1. WOW I have NEVER thought about being resilient! But I totally am!

I battled an eating disorder in grade 10 through 11 and now look at me! I have a Bachelor of Science in Food and Nutrition and am currently studying holistic nutrition to become a Registered Holistic Nutritionist. I am so resilient to be studying something that I once viewed as poison. I am now using food as my medicine. And plan to help others, too! In the fall, I will be opening up my own private practice! I also am so much more confident than I ever was in my life. When I had my eating disorder, it was hard for me to even leave the house and now I have a blog, go to conferences all around the world, and love interacting with people!

Yay for being resilient :) Thanks for pointing that out Molly!

2. Kristie says:

You are totally spot on with this one. Everyone could stand to take a moment thinking about just how resilient their body and mind are. I know it’s something I have taken for granted in the past. Now that I think about it…what if I weren’t as resilient as I am? I work in behavioral health, so I have seen how devastating it is when people are unable to cope, heal, grow, thrive and move on. My body and mind are incredibly resilient. They are have gotten me through everything from broken bones to broken hearts to broken spirits. And I am still standing!

3. Heather says:

You know, I never give myself credit for resiliency. I say I’m too emotional, that I don’t handle change well. And yet, here I am, still doing my thing every day after plenty of hard knocks. I graduated from college. I lost a baby. I lost and gained good friends. I’ve struggled with depression and food issues, and body image issues so damaging I sought emergency counseling. So dammit, I AM resilient. We all are.

4. V says:

Sometimes I forget how resilient I am, I don’t give myself credit for all that I have weathered. I feel like life has been challenging for a long time, but the last few years take the cake. I took a huge leap and quit a well paying, although horribly stressful job, changed gyms which felt like leaving my family, and my insomnnia became such that I completely stopped sleeping, and I watched as my body seemingly fell apart. I had the flu for the first time in 15 years, developed multiple food allergies, found out my liver had become fatty and toxic, found out I had a genetic mutation that predisposed me to get sick from stress, and boy did I learn that the hard way. I got shingles, ended a long time friendship that, although it was toxic, was a stressful situation. My hormones and mood were out of control, I had hypoglycemia, and was in the late stages of what some call adrenal exhaustion. I felt broken and unraveled. So I stopped training, I found a doctor I trusted, a physical therapist who is incredible, I took a course on mindfulness based stress reduction, I learned how to eat food to heal and nourish myself, eliminated gluten and dairy, learned how to work with the genetic mutation and learned to heal myself. Being mindful of the present moment without judgment I learned that love and kindness can exist in the same space as anxiety and fear and pain, and that I can hold myself in the warmth of my own heart. So in looking at that, damn straight I am resilient because my body never gave up although my brain thought it a million times. Rock on.

5. Stephanie says:

“My body and mind are incredibly resilient. They not only allow me, but encourage me to get back up after I’ve been knocked down.”
    Three years ago I decided I was finally going to train and compete in my first figure competition. Then my world was rocked, my family feel apart all around me and I could not physically or mentally move forward for a time. My husband was my rock, my daughter was my bright spot and they held me together but I could not train to compete. I had heart issues since I was 18 and during this time of high stress I was seeing my cardiologist monthly. Mentally I could not get a grip on the reality around me, physically due to the stress I was to a point of heart flutters daily and not sure if I would ever be able to take control again.
    Thankfully I DID. In 2013 I decided, with my husband’s help, that it was my year to be in control again. I had learned how to deal with the stress around me in a much better way. I began training with my husband at they gym nearly every day with my daughters constant encouragement. I changed my eating habits, exercised daily and got in the best shape of my life. My mind and my body were finally working together in such a good way that I had my last annual appointment with my cardiologist in July 2013. He couldn’t believe the progress I had made and how much healthier my heart was and he released me from my annual appointments.
    The mind is strong, the body is strong and together they have more strength than I could have ever imagined! I got knocked down and got back up fighting, now I’m healthy and happy, I deal with stress in a healthier way. I am thankful for my strong mind and body!

6. Julie says:

Thanks for reminding me of my resilience! I often make light of the challenges in my life. Telling myself they are not that big a deal, there are so many worse off than me. I suddenly and unexplainably lost my husband when I was 33 yrs old. If it wasn’t resilience getting through that I don’t know what is. I think that this is the first time in the seven years since that I have told myself that. I am now happily married to the second love of my life, own a business that I love and happier than I have ever been. As I marvel at all the amazing women I have been exposed to in this challenge, I am also taking time today to pat myself on the back for the strength I have shown in my own journey and for the endurance I know I have for the journey yet to come!

7. Paula Chambers says:

This is a great topic! I feel your pain Molly. I lost my dad unexpectedly 14 months ago and the hurt just doesn’t go away. So glad you have pulled yourself up by your boot straps and have begun to heal from the other losses you experienced.

8. Kimberly says:

Thank you so much for this post. I have never really thought about my body’s resilience before. I guess I have always thought of those that overcome injuries or illness and come back stronger than ever. I had never applied that to my own self & story. I have been pregnant 8 times. I lost 4 of those babies. I also naturally birthed 4 babies. I remember after the last loss being really angry & upset that my body just didn’t work the way I wanted it to. At that time we decided that another loss we could not risk and that we were “done”.
    Fast forward a few years and surprise! My 43 year old beautifully resilient body grew and birthed our 4th baby girl.
    Thank you for teaching me to “forgive” my body for the times it doesn’t perform as I wish & to be thankful and appreciate its resilience!

9. Laura Roberts says:

My Mamaw-yes Kentucky grandma- told me long ago, “Whether life grinds you down or polishes you depends on the kind of stone you’re made of.” Wise and lasting words.

10. Ellen says:

I am resilient, not just my body but my mind. I gave birth to 3 healthy children and mainly gained back my pre baby body because of how resilient we are as women…I’ve lost my 5 year old son to an inoperable brain tumor, I’ve lost a baby boy at 6 1/2 months in utero after trying for 2 years to get pregnant and almost 3 years ago I lost my incredible father unexpectedly…I’ve had a lot of lose. But despite all that my body, the body that I abuse and get mad at for not looking the way that I want it to still does what I ask of it! I laugh, I cry, I scream, I feel joy, I hug, I love, I do cartwheels and crazy workouts at the age of 45 because my mind and body is resilient and will always look for the goodness in all of the bad. I have to be resilient, because if I wasn’t who else would look after my girls and my amazing husband? I have to be resilient because I only have one me and one body so I had better take good care of it…so thank you body and mind for being so resilient and helping me to get through my life with such grace and dignity….I am going to do my best for you as you have done for me.

I am very resilient person (at least that’s what I think).

I feel fortunate enough for surviving through my outer hell moments & my inner hell world.
    Thoughts are what kill me most in a daily basis, whether they are true or not, it is hard enough to take them away or turn them into something good.
    I think I’m quite resilient for the time one of my dogs passed away. It was something quite tragic & traumatic for my mother & sister, as it was for me. It might not sound as a good reason, but it was a experience that I wish nobody has ever (especially by the way it happened).
    There was a time where we had to leave each other & being afraid & alone by our own, dealing with thoughts, with our emotions & responsability of having a life in our hands.
    I proved myself that I am strong in so many ways & I can be quite resilient to make the best out of the situations that are not the best (though I’m sure I can handle those ones, too).

Life’s already hard enough for everybody, so I think everybody’s resilient in some way, even when it does not seem like a hard time or situation.

12. die Frau says:

Thank you for this. I am damned resilient, and so are all of you.

I went from an unhealthy relationship that dropped me into clinical depression, no job, no friends (I lived with the guy, not anywhere near my home), to living at home with my parents at age 26, to getting back into shape, an apartment, an advanced degree, a job, and, eventually the love of my life. I don’t like to think of myself during that time of my life, but I came out of it stronger and finer than I started.

(Plus bad boyfriend wanted to join the CIA, so they had to interview me about a year after we broke up. I tried to answer honestly and not vindictively, but when they asked if I thought him trustworthy, I admit I did say, “Well, I’m pretty sure he cheated on me…but I think you could trust him with matters of national security.”)