Yesterday was Day 3 of the Love Your Body Challenge and it was fantastic.  We talked about what it means to be strong — not just physically, but mentally and emotionally as well.  All of your responses were amazing.  I felt so filled with joy reading about what being strong has done for your lives.  Here are a few you might like:

”I am strong enough to be a mother and advocate for my daughter with Down syndrome, and I am proud of that.”

“I am strong enough to beat MS and I am proud of that.”

“I am strong enough to get through the grief of my sister passing away. And I am PROUD of that!!”

“Over a year ago I admitted to myself that my relationship with alcohol was slowly destroying me. I was strong enough to admit that, face it and conquer it.”

“I am strong enough to survive grief, and I am proud of that! I lost my husband 3 years ago at the young age of 46. We have four wonderful kids and I have survived! I am so proud to say that I did not let his death or my grief define me!”

“I am strong enough to leave an abusive marriage to be a single parent to a then 1 and 5 year old.”

Amazing.  Just amazing.

I have to be completely honest with you all.  This challenge is absolutely rocking my world in so many ways.  I have spent the better part of the last 3-4 days reading this outpouring from all of you all and just crying and crying.  So many heartbreaking stories are being shared — with such incredible hope behind them and triumphs in front of them.  Each and every one of you are changing my life in ways I could never imagine.

text to al

Sometimes I feel so unworthy of your praise and kind words, because I, like you, am still a work in progress, and I have to fight my natural tendency to be self-deprecating.  But I’m working on it, and I am so grateful for each of you.

Remember, this challenge has absolutely nothing to do with me.  I am simply the facilitator.  YOU are committing to the challenge.  YOU are doing the hard work.  YOU are making the changes.  And I couldn’t be more proud.

As I said yesterday (and will likely say every day of the challenge), PLEASE if you have someone you think that might benefit from this challenge, have them join.  It’s never too late.

My mantra yesterday was:

“I’m strong enough to admit when I am wrong and apologize first. Most of the time.”

My action step was:

“I am strong enough to endure my Father’s death, and still find joy, happiness, and gratitude on the other side, and I am proud of that.”

“I am strong enough to recognize that a comfortable and good 6-year relationship wasn’t amazing, and walk away, because I deserve amazing. I am proud of that.”

“I am strong enough to do a Turkish Getup with an 80 lb. KB and I am proud of that.”

Those are some of my proudest “strength” moments.

And now, Day 4.

4. Because it’s a miracle.

I love the following quote by Albert Einstein.

photo (51)

Sometimes I just sit around and think, “what are the chances…?”

What are the chances that I was born during a time when (for the most part) women have more opportunity than ever?  In a country where I have so many freedoms?  To the best parents in the world?  In a strong and healthy body? Into a large and loving family? With my natural talents and abilities? And on and on and on…

Now I realize each of you reading this might not have had such a rosy upbringing.  There’s no doubt I’ve been extremely lucky.  But when you think about the chances of you simply being conceived, and then surviving the growth process in your Mother’s belly, making it through delivery, through your childhood, and into adulthood — man, you’ve beaten some odds!

YOU ARE A MIRACLE.

Plain and simple.

You are not here by accident.  I promise you that.

You have a purpose on this planet, and every single thing that you do creates a wave of effects and consequences, either positive or negative.  Every thought you have, every belief you hold, every action you engage in, has a consequence.

It’s up to you whether or not you choose to engage in thoughts and actions and hold beliefs that are positive and life-giving.  And if you believe that you ARE a miracle,

Mantra: ”My existence is a miracle.  I am not here by accident.  My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is_______.”

(i.e. to shine and encourage others to shine, to be the best Mother to my children, to spread peace, to make my business successful so that I can give back, to take care of my family, to find a cure for cancer, etc)

Me?  I’m discovering more and more what my purpose is, and why I am here.  And this challenge has a lot to do with that.

Action Step:
  Write down what your life’s purpose and meaning is.  Write a paragraph about how you discovered it, and allow yourself to recognize yourself for the impact that you’re having and that you will have on those around you, and feel extremely proud.

If you don’t know your life’s purpose and meaning, that’s OK.  Write down what you would love for it to be.  In your wildest dreams, how would you impact the world around you?

Then write down a list of what you would need to do to make that happen, including one thing you can do TODAY to move closer to that.  For example, if you want to be a Philosophy Professor, but you haven’t been to grad school, start researching grad schools TODAY.  Make sure you repeat your mantra while you are writing these things down.

My Action Step

After writing my blog post, It’s Hard Out Here For A Fit Chick, I discovered that my biggest passion wasn’t just getting women healthy physically, but mentally and emotionally through teaching them to have grace and compassion for their bodies.  My Life Coach actually said to me,

“You have the microphone, and everyone is listening.  What are you going to say?”

BAM.  That hit me like a ton of bricks, and I decided that the most impact I could have would involve women and body image and body embracement.  So here I am.  And I am extremely proud.

Checklist:

1. Make sure you’ve signed up for my newsletter so you can get links to the new challenge every morning!
2. Make sure you’ve filled out the 10 questions at the bottom of this page (DO THIS BEFORE DAY 1) so you have your “starting point.”
3. Say your mantra 10 times immediately, during your action step, and before bed.
4. Complete your action step.
5. Check in with your accountability partner if you have one.
6. Check back tomorrow for more.

OH!  3 more things –

1. PLEASE post about what you’re doing on Facebook and Twitter with the hashtags #LoveYourBodyChallenge or #LYBC.  This will allow you to connect with others doing the challenge, offer support and encouragement, and get ideas for your mantras and action steps.

2. PLEASE comment below and let us know what your mantra and your action steps are each day.  Again, this helps build support and community as well as offers ideas to those who might need them.

3. If you’re so inclined, feel free to send me pictures of your amazingly beautiful selves and I’ll post them in my Facebook album.  It’s essentially an album of pictures similar to what my fitness professional friends and I did on Day 1.  It’s a picture that you might normally not want to post, but you post it anyway along with a short blurb about your journey.  You can see the album here, and you can send pictures and your blurb to: 28DayLoveYourBodyChallenge@gmail.com It’s such a supportive community of women (and men) over there.  It’s awesome!

That’s all for now.  See you tomorrow!

1. I would say my purpose and meaning it to help others realize how amazing they are. My passion is very much like yours, Molly <3 I can relate to you so much :D

2. Patricia L Mohr says:

This Body Challenge is amazing. Helps to know we are all in this together!! Thank you so much for not only lifting us up, but allowing yourself to become transparent and vulnerable as the cost of that lifting up. You are appreciated!!

3. Wow! The mantra posts from yesterday floored me. I am in tears right now at what my fellow challengees are strong enough to endure. You ladies are incredible! Molly… thank you so much for answering the call to work up this challenge for all of us!

4. Jess says:

Mantra: ”My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to help women learn about nutrition and exercise as a way to build strength on the inside and outside. I want to help them feel safe and strong.

I want to volunteer my time and offer classes in communities that are often under served.

5. Nicola M. says:

I think mine is to ‘Be the best me I can be, so that I am better to serve others’. I was neglecting myself for so long that my duties as a wife/mother/friend fell to the wayside. Once I found fitness and learned to respect my body, it all started to come back…and THEN some. I made NEW friends and found a renewed love of my life. Looking to keep trending in that direction so that I can hopefully inspire others to do the same.

6. Stephanie says:

My life has purpose and meaning and that purpose is to teach my daughter to love herself, know her worth, know she can do anything she puts her mind to. Teach her that no matter what size or shape she is, that she is BEAUTIFUL. Growing up myself I was so hard on my body, my muscles were too big, the guys would tease me because I had “man” legs. I never want her to feel like there is something “wrong” with her, but to know that she is her own version of a beautiful human being. I am teaching her how to be strong and healthy, she loves it. I will fulfill my purpose and there will be another young woman in this world who is proud of who she is, always.

7. JS says:

My life has purpose and meaning, I exist to love God and to love others, and to offer support to students who learn differently or at a different pace than their peers. I have been debating whether or not to register for my 6 hours of planned summer courses because I will be out of town the last 10 days of the 6 week session. One of these is a thesis course and the other carries a “busy” workload and professors have warned me this will be virtually impossible to pull off. Putting it off a year also puts me behind in my certification. Today I will reach out to the professors scheduled for those courses to discuss feasibility. I am STRONG! I can pull this off!

8. Pam G says:

After a 5 year journey of chronic pain, mind and soul twisting, I’ve come out the other end. Most don’t, there is a miracle of belief in the treatment will work, has work and will continue to work. Taking my life back, losing 100 lbs, reaching every goal I’ve set (in its own time). I’m now drug free,strong, finding patience to love my body again and not feel betrayed by it. Becoming fit, strong of body, mind and soul. Reaching out to others in pain, finding the strength to help them begin their journey back to health. We absolutely have a purpose!! Even when all hope seems lost.

9. Brier Frasier says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to hold out my light and help others to find theirs. Especially those who have given up. I have grown through a neglectful and abusive shame-based childhood, through alcoholism and drug addiction, through blocking myself from joy and vulnerability to protect against further pain, of course using food to numb out. Now, I have been sober for 21 years, I am 50 years old and am learning to play for the first time in my life. I’m helping other people, just by being myself, to see that it is possible to grow through hard experiences, not just survive but actually grow and excel, and I am so glad I have the opportunity to keep living this amazing life. Every one of my difficult experiences in life was gift that I am now grateful for. I love when I have the chance to share that sentiment with others who are going through things too. The only thing that limits me is my own fear and I am learning slowly to loosen my grip on that and really live life fully.

Brier F.

10. Libby Cripps says:

The purpose and meaning of my life are still changing, but at this moment they are to support and inspire my husband and family and to challenge others to try what they never thought they could do by taking those leaps of faith in my own life.

11. Diane says:

”My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is: to leave the world a better place than I found it.”

I think, to me, the biggest part of my mantra today is to spread joy. No matter where I am physically, mentally or emotionally, I love nothing more than to help contribute to someone’s good vibes, or help them see the bright side of a situation. I love trying to help someone come up with an action step they can take, instead of just wallowing in complaint. Even if all I can do is be a shoulder to someone and offer them a kind word. I get so much back from supporting and encouraging others. It’s almost selfish. Joy is infectious.

Thank you for helping take the steps I need to start seeing myself the same way I see others- with grace and compassion.

12. Nia says:

My life’s purpose and meaning is to bring joy and optimism to the world. I discovered this purpose and meaning from focusing on actively listening to what people had to say about how I impact the world. I began to hear that my smile is infectious and that my positive spin on life and can-do attitude helps put people in better moods and feel they can achieve their goals also. This was life changing, because it happened at a time when I wasn’t feeling so happy about myself and realized I was starting to slide into negativity and letting the world get the best of me. It has forced me to be more conscious about how I show I perceive things to others. I even started creating a happy jar so that I have a reminder of one thing, no matter how big or small, that made me happy every day this year. I truly believe that even the worst of days have their happy moments.

13. Erin says:

My life has purpose and meaning, and that is to give glory to God.

God has given me specific interests, abilities and opportunities. These include a love of learning, a fascination with the human body, and compassion; which make me a great nurse! I would love to positively impact nursing and nursing education by bringing the message of positive psychology and resilience as the vaccine and antidote to healthcare professional burnout. I want the phrase (and concept!) “nurses eat their young” to be a thing of the past. How am I as a nurse supposed to care for God’s children if I don’t take care of myself, my fellow nurses, and our next generation of nurses?

Steps I can take to get there:
    Long-term- Get my MSN in Education and Administration (I’ve applied and am waiting to hear back!); Start working as a nursing professor in a 4year college; Get a
    Master’s in Positive Psychology; Get my PhD in Nursing, Education or Psychology.

Short-term- Impact my current unit as a “ground floor” leader; Mentor nursing students; Continue my personal positive psychology exploration

14. Renee says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to show love and believe in themselves. =D

Goodness I love this love your body challenge Journey! Thank you Molly!!

15. Chelsea says:

My life’s purpose is to bring others to their highest happiness. Some of the best moments I can look back and reflect on were moments in which I had the blessing of making someone laugh, of making them smile because I’ve done something to make their day easier. I recognize that serving others does not mean neglecting myself, but I consider it to be one of the biggest honors we can have as people to spread joy to others and to help grow a loving community!

16. Caitlin says:

Wow there are no words to describe how grateful I am that this challenge exists. Molly you are brillant and so inspirational.For so long I have felt uncomfortable in my own skin for various reasons. I still have a lot of work to do but I am getting there. Today my mantra is : my purpose is to bring strength to those around me through example of loving oneself, showing courage, and walking down your own path and not being influenced by others. In my job we are surrounded by negative energy and I can help to change that through my positive attitude and providing recognition for all the amazing things my Co workers do. I can do the same for my husband who has many demons he his struggling with. I will be his rock because he deserves the best.

17. April says:

My purpose and meaning is to be another mother to my stepdaughter and to show her through my love and relationship with her father what a loving marriage should look like.

Before I came into the picture, first of all, my husband didn’t know how to love. Or rather he did, but he couldn’t let himself trust enough to truly love someone, other than his daughter. Part of it from his childhood/adult relationships with his parents and part of it because of what he went through with his ex-wife.

DD was so young when they split, she doesn’t remember them together. Even if she did, she wouldn’t remember love. She would never have seen it. Her mother hasn’t remarried, so if DH and I hadn’t met, she never would have experienced the real love and affection between a married couple.

Now, she sees it with DH and me. She hears us say “I love you” every day, multiple times. She sees us kiss each other goodbye each morning and snuggle in the evenings. She sees and hears us communicating daily, doing things together as a family, and doing things for each other.

I came into their lives 5 years ago when she was only 5. Neither one of us remembers a time without each other.

18. Jennifer Brownfield says:

My purpose is to be a light, not a shadow in this journey. To linger with those I meet on the trail, a whisper of love in their soul.
    I think I have always empathized with others. But as I have grown older and learned more, I have allowed my education to make me cynical, I have become less patient and kind to those who I make judgments about. I need to remember that I can never know the details of a persons situation, and it is not right for me to judge them based off of short interactions. It is hard to be kind all the time; I certainly am not kind all the time. So why do I expect others to be? I think my purpose is to continue improving my own reactions to others, so I can someday be a teacher of love. Love for life, love for others, love for the earth, and love for self.

19. Jessie Kirkwood says:

Day 4
    ”My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to find a way to help others; help them realize their full potential and give them the strength to keep fighting back when they feel like they have nothing left. I am here to bring out the best in others, to love with all my heart, and to be the best version of myself in order to better the lives around me.”

My life purpose I believe is to help others. I love playing and coaching basketball, but coaching gives me the opportunity to touch young lives and to help them realize their full potential. I have the opportunity to teach them lessons both on and off the court and help them grow into positive members of society so that someday they can have the desire to make an impact on others.
    I know I want to continue to coach, I am not sure what else my career is supposed to be but I know I have a deep passion for helping others and making them feel good about themselves and of high value.
    One thing I can do today is reach out to people that may be struggling, see how they are doing and try to brighten their day in some way. The littlest things can make a world of difference!

20. Jenn says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to use the heartache my family faced with my brother’s death and turn it into strength, passion and wisdom to help future families face their own tragedies. I will begin this journey in May when I can finally call myself a Registered Nurse!

21. I believe my life has purpose and meaning and that I’m here to make a positive impact on people. I have an extreme case of sarcasm and pessimism, but when I write about it (anything) on my blog, people connect with the honesty. And I work SO hard to better myself, find patience and positivity, and that reflects on the kids I am raising. I am a nanny for twins and have been raising them for 2 years (before they could walk and talk, until now and they’re almost three, walking talking…). I’ve been told by strangers that they are the most polite kids they’ve ever seen, and that makes me feel like I’ve made a difference in the world.
    When I was first dating my now-husband, he told me he believed I was sent here for him, by his mother. His mother was his everything and she passed away from complications from cancer. And when he met me, he told me that, and it changed my life. I was already in love with him, but that connection hit me like a ton of bricks. I believe that I’m here for him, helping him find purpose and love life again. I’m here to be a mother and I will do anything and everything to make that happen.
    I used to be incredibly depressed (still fall into it) and didn’t think my life had purpose. But remembering these things makes my heart feel a sense of relief. I have a purpose.

22. Meleta Truax says:

My purpose and meaning is to help and encourage others to be there best! I was raised in a very negative household and was always told why I couldn’t accomplish something. “You can’t do that you are not smart enough”, “you can’t do that you are too fat”. I really didn’t think much about it until I met my husband. (He is my amazing) He helped be to not be so negative about myself and everything else! Being a parent changed the way I look at life. I want my children to know that they can do anything that they put their mind to. I have always tried to lift their spirits while still keeping them grounded. This has also helped my with my friendships. I realized that I didn’t always encourage my friends the way I should have.

23. Janel says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. God created me unique and special- just the way he wants me to be. My life has purpose and meaning, and it is to glorify and honor God with my life. I can do that by being the best wife, mom, daughter and friend that I can be and not constantly trying to be someone else but accepting who I am as ME. I want to be a good example for my daughter too; so she won’t struggle with comparison issues as I have. I want her to be confident in who God made her and celebrate her uniqueness.

24. Gwen says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to bring out the best in others so they have joy in their lives and to be the best friend/sister/aunt/daughter I can be.

My best gift to people is to listen to them, to empathize, to be a shoulder to cry on, a non-judgmental person to vent to. It is to be that person who will drop everything to help when you need it, while still maintaining my own sense of self and still satisfying my own needs. It is to show, by example, the good someone’s positivity can do in this world and to inspire a similar outlook in others.

Mantra: ”My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is_______.”

-To learn & teach that the world is amazing & that perspective is everything we need to have success where we want & how we want.
    -Allow & express myself, so others can understand that it’s ok to be authentically you & that, going that way, things work out for everyone of us in order to get us in the position we want.
    -Change the world, no matter how small my actions are, but contributing to make things better; Take action on those things that I know are beneficial for all of us.

26. Jess says:

My purpose and meaning is to help improve people’s quality of life through physical therapy. I hope to one day work within the military network, whether in a military hospital or VA to help soldiers/vets with traumatic amputations regain their independence.

27. Jenn says:

Thank you so much for hosting this challenge! It couldn’t have come at a more perfect time! I definitely struggle with this, as I automatically expect my purpose to be something grand, like curing cancer. I’m finding, though, that my true purpose is to be the person my friends come to when they need good advice.

28. Cheryl Jadykin says:

to be the best of me that I can be, and in doing so bring light into the lives of others.

29. Michelle says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to make the world a better place. I did NOT get a PhD in Infectious Disease & Immunology to make money. Instead, I joined the Navy I am working on developing vaccines that will help people all over the world. I will get to learn how respond to outbreaks, conduct disease surveillance globally, teach communities in 3rd world countries about clean water & food safety, respond to natural disasters with the Red Cross and provide clinical microbiology support to Sailors and Marine’s. With my strong & able body, my mind and my soul, I am making the world a better place.

30. Rachel Heath says:

My meaning and purpose is defiance. I’ve always been a defiant person (my first word was “no!”) and I’ve learned to channel that energy into productive things… mostly. Ok, I admit it. Sometimes I fight with strangers on Facebook.

I defy arbitrary sexism. I defy unrealistic expectations of what my body should look like (and that I owe it to anyone to look a certain way). I defy those who say marriage should be constant struggle, or that parenting has to kill your dreams. My purpose and meaning is to stand up to injustice and ignorance.

31. Emili says:

My life’s purpose and meaning is to find my passions and happiness, then in turn help others find theirs. I am so grateful to be a part of their light bulb flickering to life!

32. Nicki says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to be the best mom, daughter, wife and friend god wants me to be.”

I found my purpose in life after having my two beautiful little girls and realizing the importance we have as parents in teaching, developing and showing our kids how to live an honest, hardworking, loving and god focused life.

33. Joanne says:

My purpose Molly is much like yours I want others to see their true potential. To know there is light in every dark day. To love themselves no matter what. To live as healthy and happy as they can each day. I love to write, God has given me that great gift and I use it to blog t
    his message every day at Sparkpeople.com . thank you for this great challenge and for changing everyone’s life for the better.

34. ”My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to love and care for those around me and help them through difficult times. My purpose has changed since my son died, and I now feel that it is not only as a caretaker for my granddaughters and my boarding kennel dogs, but to reach out to other mothers of addicts and grieving people, especially parents. I need to find my way through grief to help them.”

35. Heather says:

My life is a miracle. I am here to make a difference in my students’ lives and to help them be better people. I am here to love my husband and children! I am here to be the best I can be!

36. Liz says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is LEAVE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE THAN I FOUND IT. I approach this in little actions, sometimes daily. When Im in the weight room I always put the weights back in their proper place–especially if I did not use them. I know the staff appreciates it.

37. Erica says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning and that purpose and meaning is to love others the way Jesus loves me. That purpose is to be the very best version of me that I can be and take care of my healthy body that I’m blessed to have. That purpose is to smile and appreciate all fo the many blessings in life that I’ve been given and can use to reach out to others.

38. DL says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to accept and follow Jesus. My greatest desire is to be open to His leading and serve whom ever he directs my path to go. I have had some very miraculous moments obeying His direction, and am fulfilled this way.

39. Crystal says:

My existence is a miracle. I am not here by accident. My life has purpose and meaning, and that purpose and meaning is to teach my son to be a loving, kind person – who respects others, stands up for what is right and loves himself.

Thank you so much for this challenge. Like others, I have cried for what you all have endured, and I’ve cried for myself for wasting all the time I have wasted on self-loathing. This challenge has made me sad for the young girls, because we are all here (ages twenties to senior citizens!) and still working on this. When I think about the amount of time I have wasted letting my self-image consume me that this or that isn’t good enough, or my skin is still hanging and my son is now 4…even though I eat clean and exercise daily. I’ve let it run my life and missed opportunities to enjoy life. I constantly compare myself to not being thin enough as ________. This challenge has opened my eyes to the wasted time, to the example I may be setting on my son about self image, to the dismissed compliments my husband and friends give me.

I’d like my purpose and meaning in life to not only teach my son to respect himself and others, but for girls to grow up with the confidence to respect and love themselves as well. The Lord keeps bringing people into my life who live in a way that makes you want to know Him more. I strive to be such a person and pray He guides me back to loving myself so that I may be a good example for our posterity to love themselves as they are.

40. Grace says:

Wow, what a concept to think about … At the moment, I feel like the purpose and meaning in my life is to entertain, educate, and inspire people through words — whether that be the words of a song I sing or through the written word. I’ve been drawn to creative pursuits all my life, but my first love (and what I keep coming back to) is the writing and recitation of text. My tertiary studies have all been based around music, because it’s another thing I enjoy and have always been good at … but there’s a reason I’m a singer and not a pianist. I love words and the endless emotions they can provoke and their capacity to inspire. Having finished my post-graduate music studies now, I’m finding myself drawn to writing original performance pieces, and even returning to writing fiction, which was a massive creative outlet for me during high school. I’d love to pursue it further. And you know what? The way my body looks has ZERO effect on the joy and passion I feel for my purpose!

41. Lauren says:

I’m just catching up on the challenge but I LOVE this so much! I definitely resonated with you when you mentioned you want to help women with the emotional/mental side of health vs just physical health. This is something I just realized this past week too – I thought I HAD to write about nutrition/real food, but my best posts (and ones I love writing) are about ditching the diets, the scale, and mindful or intuitive eating. I’m finally deciding to switch gears and focus most of my efforts on that! Can’t wait to continue along with the challenge.